Sbpcsys, Renter in Toms River, NJ

Are any of the adult communities in Monroe willing to accept someone who is only 51?

Asked by Sbpcsys, Toms River, NJ Sat Apr 6, 2013

Answers

8
Robin Grossman’s answer
Most communities Active adult(55 and over) in Monroe ask that at least one person is 55. Another person residing in the home can be 48. I would be glad to look into this for you further.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Please feel free to reach out to me directly any time on my mobile- 646-325-7528.
Flag Sun Sep 15, 2013
My Trulia profile has now been corrected as to my residence in San Diego. See my response to your question below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
The Housing for Older person's Act (HOPA) which sets out the exemption in the Federal Fair Housing Law allowing 55+ housing states that in qualified housing for older persons 55+ 80% of the units must be at least occupied by one person aged 55 or older per unit. No more than 20% of units may be occupied by residents under age 55. If the community does not have more than 20% of the residents under age 55 you should be able to live there. Contact the management of the communities you are interested in.

From another poster on the web: "In my area of Northern New Jersey for example, Rockaway Township minimum age is 52, in Denville the minimum age is 48, in Wharton the age is again 52. As long as the community does not have more that 20% at these age levels you should be able to work it out. Communities are not allowed to advertise this, so many people are not aware of this set aside".

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
PS- I am in San Diego, not Whiting (don't know where Trulia got that!) My info is from an internet search.
Flag Sat Apr 6, 2013

It entirely depends on the community. Some communities accept only 1 person to be 55+.

Vishal.
Hi Sbpcsys.

Mesutter summed it up well...there is a set aside in each community of 20% who can own and be under 55 years of age. However, it is entirely up to a particular community how that is implemented. Do you know what area and also community you want to be in?

You should contact an agent to explore your options further. You are not at the end of the road here but will just have to do some extra digging. As a general rule, adult communities will not market this information because they seek to have age qualified adults in their developments. Therefore, as a generality, Frank is correct but there is this exception which will be viewed on a case by case basis.

If you would like further assistance, please contact me at 917-969-0093. Btw- I have also interacted with Frank and he is a wonderful agent as well.

Good Luck in your search!
Hi Sbpcsys.

Good Luck in your search!
I know that I answered your question earlier, but let's think out of the box for a minute....

I have clients who are not old enough to live in one of the adult communities, but they can still OWN a home in one. They just can't live there. This is actually not uncommon at all, because very often an owner will pass away, leaving the house to their kids, who are not old enough to live there. The kids usually sell it so they won't have to pay the taxes and maintenance charges each month.

I also have clients who are too young to live here, but still buy homes in the adult communities, renovate them, then either re-sell them, or rent them out to cover the costs. Sometimes they even wind up with a positive cash flow from them. This is because prices are now at an all time low, and they have nowhere to go but up. If they can rent them for 3 or 4 years, covering the costs, they will then probably be able to sell them at a significant profit, so they make out well all around.

So yes, you must be at least 55 to live here, but not to buy here.

If you would like further information please contact me directly at frank.bianco@levinsonassociates.com, or call me on my cell phone - 732-+245-4440

Frank Bianco
Unfortunately, no. It is not the individual communities, but the township itself that imposes the rule that one resident must be at least 55 years of age and the second person living in the home must be at least 48. Other towns still require the first person to be 55, but will also allow adult children, 19 years of age or older, to also live there.

Hang in there for four more years!
Mesutter -Thank you for confirming what I have read as the law. I will approach this as I have and just ask the community some are more accepting than others. Maybe I should look for a job in CA. Again. I truly appreciate the quick responses to my questions.
Flag Sun Apr 7, 2013
Thank you that is what I have been hearing from most however as mesutter pointed out there are communities that are allowing people as young as 48 into adult community settings. I am going to keep trying. My rent just went up but my salary hasn't so I am really trying to move forward with this. Again I appreciate your assistance.
Flag Sun Apr 7, 2013