Home Buying in Staten Island>Question Details

jeffery, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

Are agents spending more time in the office analyzing data these days than getting out in the field viewing properties they never saw?

Asked by jeffery, Staten Island, NY Thu Oct 17, 2013

My agent is like an accountant, she knows all the comps, home sizes & published details, but she can't explain the layout of many of the homes on the internet. She obviously never went to look at these listed homes. I wonder if this is what the internet has done to the industry. Now we have the stay at home realtor.

Answers

7
J’s answer
Hi Jeffery...you've posted lots of questions on Trulia. I use the Internet as a tool for gathering various data; however, I physically visit properties to complete the analysis because the information as posted on listings is only as good as the agent putting in the data. Other third party websites often report inaccurate housing data as well, including the county records. The best rule of thumb is for an agent to also visit applicable properties to complete the process.

If I'm viewing historical records of a property an agent has listed on MLS and something looks obscure I generally call the agent. For instance, the same property has been relisted by the same agent two months in to a listing period, the property goes pending one day and active the next, or it is active one day and withdrawn the same day and then active the next day. By doing this essential research I found that one property had actually been on the market 10 months under a different listing number but was assigned a new listing number with a higher price but on MLS it looked to be only on the market 3 months.
ac
Flag Sun Oct 20, 2013
Not all. The internet replaces the MLS book and the newspaper. Those who are going to work, are still working pre-viewing homes. those who were not before, are still probabily not now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 17, 2013
In many ways the internet has changed the industry. Any realtor worth his/her salt takes the time to know the properties he/she is showing. We do our research on-line, which also makes it easier for buyers and sellers to search for properties. However, if your agent is not getting out to see the properties in person your agent is doing you a great disservice and may be inexperienced.

It sounds like you may need a new agent.

718 689-3850 - Neuhaus Realty
There are hundreds of thousands of homes on the market at any given time. A proficient Realtor will become familiar with homes on the market similar to those she is personally marketing and will become familiar with homes that his/her buyer is interested in.

There is no reason to know every house on the market. Efficiency is a reason not to.
Jeffrey,
An agent would only know the exact layout of the home if he/she actually saw the house. It's difficult to see every house that is currently listed. When working with multiple buyers with the same requirements and price range, it's more likely that the agent would know a particular house. That does not necessarily mean that the agent is a "stay at home" realtor.
Hi Jeffrey

Actually, there are a lot of agents who will fall into that category or description...and yes, the internet is the culprit - with multiple photos and virtual tours etc.

"Stay at home realtor" - funny phrase - kind of made me laugh.......to the extent that many work FROM home rather than go to their offices these days, your comment is true (can only speak for my area - it may be different elsewhere).

Often my office (of 35+ agents) is like a ghost town unless it is an office meeting day!

Many do still preview homes on our broker open houses days....so that's good............and........if you feed them lunch, like I do, you usually get an even better turnout! ("feed them and they will come" ! Had 42 at my last OH - of course in the old days that number could have exceeded 60!).

Maybe, moving forward, you can ask your agent to preview those homes she thinks are your best options!
Can't hurt to ask if she doesn't seem to be doing it on her own.

Best wishes.....
I doubt it, Jeffery; even back in the day, we had agents that stayed by the office phone browsing through the listing cards.