Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Tonil901, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Appreciation of townhomes in Houston, Montrose neighborhood

Asked by Tonil901, Houston, TX Tue Jan 15, 2013

I have been told that townhouses in Houston do not appreciate and that they often lose value, and that only single family homes appreciate. Is this true? Can anyone share any insights?

Answers

4
No, that not true at all! Just as is the case for single family homes, location, and condition are important. The Montrose area, depending on the location in the area can do very well for a appreciation. The Montrose area, is similar to the Heights in it's mix of commercial, old homes and new mixed which it is due to lack of zoning. For a long time deed restrictions were weak or not enforced. Pockets(Subdivisions) of Montrose now have incredibly strong controls about the type of properties that can be built. These are streets in Montrose that are very desireable and homes on them sell quickly and prices consistantly rise at a steady level.
Many empty nesters and young buyers prefer townhomes due to their lower maintaince.
If you are not currently working with an agent and you need information about Montrose or other close in neighborhoods, please feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Myra Ephross ABR,ASR,ALHS,CNE,CHMS,CLHS
Prudential Fine Homes International

Prudential Anderson Properties
711 East 11 th Street
Houston, Texas 77008
281 650-9889 cell
Definitely not true. Townhomes have been appreciating in value quite rapidly over the last year, because the demand for them is very high, and the supply is quite low now. We only have 3 1/2 months of inventory in Houston right now, which makes for a very strong Seller's market. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Truly,

Brandon Newton
Master Certified Negotiation Expert
713.890.9108
My friend builds townhomes in the Heights. He informed me that the price of his townhomes have increased at least 4-5% over the last half year. Next year, who knows? Our city of Houston is quickly expanding. I am seeing are more aged crowd purchase townhomes, then eventually they will probably lease it out ans use the townhome as an investment property.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
No, it's not true, IMO. Would be happy to talk over the phone. Give me a call tomorrow if you'd like to have a lively conversation about Montrose real estate:) 713 301 4385