Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

nickcole, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

Anyone live right on a canal?

Asked by nickcole, Phoenix, AZ Tue Jan 14, 2014

I am thinking of purchasing a home that is right on one of the Phoenix canals in the central PHX area. Does anyone have any experience with living right next to the canals? Any input would be great such as:

Are there more bugs because of the proximity to water?
Are there more scorpions?
Is it safe to raise kids there?
Is there more criminal/shady activity?
Are the joggers a nuisance?
Is privacy an issue?

Any thoughts on this would be great! Thanks.

I live near one of the SRP canal systems. I run and bike on it regularly and do notice more bugs near the canal, but can't say for sure how it affects the neighboring homes. Haven't run into any scorpions on the canal. Check with the current owner and neighbors.

Regarding child safety, you may want to make sure that any gates leading from your property to the canal are child proof and take the same precautions as you would if you had a pool on your property.

Check the local crime statistics around that canal area. Also, speak with some of the neighbors or local law enforcement regarding your concerns.

As for joggers/ bikers being a nuisance or privacy issues, seems like that would be a personal question. Each person may have a different tolerance level for something being a nuisance or not.

Best of luck!
Hello ,this is what i would do

i would walk the area you are thinking of purchasing and you will see people on homes by the canal and strike a conversation and ask them all this questions , do it a few times and will give you a
great idea of the area

My daughter is a professional Realtor that knows the Phoenix neighborhoods, homes and historic areas.

Would you like to speak with her for some advice? She also lives in Central Phoenix.
If you have children be very careful. Kids like to go swimming.