Nagleepark10, Home Buyer in Central San Jose, San...

Anyone live in naglee park in downtown san jose? Is it a safe area? I'm looking at the kb community on s. 12th street. THANKS!!

Asked by Nagleepark10, Central San Jose, San Jose, CA Wed Jun 23, 2010

As a realtor and vintage home owner as well and a Naglee Park resident for 10 years, I can say it is the best place I have ever lived! If you like authentic homes and authentic people and an authentic sense of communitythis is the place!! Having moved from Saratoga and Los Gatos where my children were raised I had some apprehension as it certainly is more urban.

I cant find a place in California including Beverly Hills where each home is perfect, we all know it is not a perfect world. I have not had an issue with any type of vandalism or theft that is a BIG statement for the world we live in.

We walk to the theatre, Original Joes, Gordon Biersch, Camera 1, Pizza My Heart and to the great Farmers Markets at both San Pedro Square and Japan Town. There is a real sense of pride in renovating a home built at the turn of the century and Naglee Park is full of these treasured gems and being part of a history of the home and the community. I recently sold a home to a Canadian fellow and when I asked him why he wanted to specifically live in Naglee Park he told me it was because of our great Fourth of July Parade which is a slice of pride and a Naglee Park classic community event. It ends in a pot luck picnic in the William Street Park. Most recently a Naglee Park Home Tour was added and each year over 700 tickets are sold to this one day event in April sponsored by the San Jose Woman's Club. Before I forget we Naglee Parker's also sponsor the larges Dog festival in Northern California another great community event. You can come even if you dont have a dog!!! I hope you will take a tour of our neighborhood the hidden gem that no one (even most San Jose residents) be authentic be a Naglee Parker!!
Love love love Naglee Park...have lived here over six years. Very "neighborhood-y"; walkable to downtown. It's as safe as anywhere. Every night around 11 o'clock I walk my dog around the block.....if I run into anyone, it's neighbors sitting on the porch or coming back after a night out on the town...or with another neighbor. Highly recommended.
Naglee Park ,San Jose, CA. is famous for inclusion in a nationwide study of deadly raccoon roundworm infections. It offers high raccoon population, high raccoon latrine density, an almost guaranteed raccoon roundworm infection possibility, and an ignorant human population( problem has gone unnoticed / uncorrected for many years). Please trap and kill raccoons if you live in the city, you will be a shero/hero!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 20, 2012
Say what???? Easy to trash talk neighborhoods from a 2,000-mile distance. And, thanks, but I'm not ignorant. There are raccoons.....they keep to themselves. I've got five cats and a dog......nary a roundworm infection amongst them.
Flag Wed Dec 19, 2012
It's a great life in Naglee Park! No one know's the neighborhood like a neighbor.....

Karen McMillan
Coldwell Banker San Jose Main
1045 Willow Street
San Jose, California 95112
408 313 3134
Web Reference:
As a realtor who lives and sells real estate in Naglee Park and who has lived in other historic neighborhoods in San Jose I can say it is the safest. I know one would assume that due to the proximity of downtown that Naglee Park would have more then it's fair share of "activity" however this has not been my experience and I have lived here 9 years. My clients have moved from Los Altos,Cupertino,Willow Glen and truly "covet" our authentic charming neighborhood. I know from my personal experience being a transplant from Los Gatos and Saratoga for most of my adult life that my neighbors in Naglee Park are the best neighbors I have ever enjoyed! The mix of the neighborhood is eclectic we have many original owners who's families have been here over 70 years or more. We also have a great mix of families and empty nesters it makes for an interesting and varied community. We have over 1000 homes in Naglee Park it is an island close to San Jose State and walking distance across the campus to Original Joes, Gordon Birsch, Il Fornaio and where else could you live and walk to the Fairmont? Also we are three miles from downtown Willow Glen by walking or biking on the Gualdalupe Trail, 10 minutes to the airport and 7 miles from Apple,Google and walking to Adobe It's a great life in Naglee Park!!!
We have lived in Naglee Park for about 10 years. It's a wonderful neighborhood for families, very closeknit and friendly. People are always out walking with dogs and kids, everybody helps each other out .. it has a very small-town feel. If you like interesting, beautiful, well-maintained old houses, Naglee Park is perfect for you .. a fantastic place with a lot of history. Every house is different and the neighbors can tell you great stories. Neighborhood email list (great for restaurant and contractor recommendations or if you need to borrow an obscure tool), many playgroups, lots of volunteering with a strong and active neighborhood association. It has always been a residential neighborhood and has a very settled feel.
Once you enter an address in go to the "Incident Layers" tab to select what type of information is important to you. Next, choose the duration of time you want to look at under "Date Range" (for example, you might look at 2010 verses 2011).
You can see crime statistics derived directly from the SJ Police Dept. at
It allows you to search by a specific address.
hi, hard to say. Not too many from San Jose would consider this a very safe area, but it may be change. It was a big try from the city to make the down town safe, it started 10 years ago and they are still working at this.
Hi there:

Yes great area. Close to Santana Row, Valley Fair, close to freeways, and Santa Clara.

Let us know if you need any help.

Best Regards
Web Reference:
Untrue. It is nowhere close to Santana Row or Valley Fair. It is adjacent to San Jose State University and downtown.
Flag Sun Sep 30, 2012
The open house I held on S 15th St. brought in about 30 prospective buyers. I met several neighbors and read the Advisor which is a neighborhood community paper that the homeowner had. Like I said this is a tight-knit community and there are a lot of volunteers for their community. They even have a July 4th parade so check out the area again this weekend.

Virginia Thomas
Hi Nagleepark10,

I have friends that live in this area and I they have never mentioned anything to me about not feeling safe.

However, what makes a particular neighborhood "safe" is best decided by the individual who will be living in the area. A map-based geo-located crime stats tool that I recommend you visit is
You will have to zoom into the Naglee Park area; however, I think you will find this site quite useful. Take a look at the "Analytics" tab as well.

While a Buyer can "go it alone" when buying from a Builder, it is much more prudent to have your own Realtor representation. Here are a few considerations to be aware of when buying from a Builder:

Best, Steve
You can look up crime reporting at this website The information feeds directly from the San Jose Police Department.
I'm holding an open house this Sunday, June 27th at 510 S 15th St., San Jose, in the heart of Naglee Park. There are a number of beautiful homes near the Williams Street Park where Bark in the Park is held in September (18th). Some of these homes were built in the 1920's and it has a strong community presence because it's part of a Historic District. Check out There have been problems at Williams St. Park but that has been addressed. Check the crime database.