Home Buying in Astoria>Question Details

Cris, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Anyone know about Acropolis Gardens in Astoria, Queens, New York? Good or bad?

Asked by Cris, New York, NY Sat Feb 2, 2008

Answers

17
My husband and I have lived in the Acropolis for 5 years; and I thought I would give our 2 cents worth... We are a young professional couple, and overall have been very happy living here. We personally have never seen rodents anywhere here; and have NEVER HAD BEDBUGS (or heard about the so-called 'problem' here. Trust me, I would not be able to tolerate this...). Also roach-free, which is pretty refreshing compared to our old place in Williamsburg.
The neighbors are quiet, and this place is really peaceful at night (also a NYC rarity). Management is working at aspects of the complex (our stairwells have just been painted, and video intercoms are being installed). The courtyards are kept really neat and trim.
The area is, however, the real attraction. Everything is nearby - great food (with free delivery!); subway; multiple great grocers, the gym. We have grown very spoiled with the convenience of everything here.
I have now lived here for almost two years! I am so happy with my decision to live here. I have have not have one bad experience! I have NEVER had any problems with rodents, bug or roaches. I love this building. Great investment and I can rent out whenever I want to. A exterminator is provided by the building but I never had to use the service. Neighbors are friendly and keep to themselves. It's been a pleasure!
I've lived here for 4 years. I've lived in NYC for 34 years.
The acropolis is actually a good place to live. I have people over frequently who tell me they love the apt. It's quiet and a very good investment. The apt can be rented out for $1800 per month. You can make improvements and sublet. Pets are allowed and the prices are great compared to the "luxury" long island city units that you pay $750k for for a doorman and a view.

It is a 4 minute walk to the train and near countless businesses, restaurants, bars etc.
The only downside, but I can say this about any nyc apt. I've lived in is that it could be cleaner. I DO NOT have bed bugs in my apt. I see one or two roaches per year.

NYC especially brooklyn is rampant with bed bugs. Also again I have lived here for FOUR YEARS and I am not regularly seeing drug busts. In fact there is 24 hour security and I have walked through the beautiful courtyard on many late night occasions in complete peace and quiet.

I also have not heard of it referred to as the ACRAPOLIS and I have lived in Astoria for 9 years. I think the main issues people have with it is that it is not filled with pure bred Greeks. There is a mix of multi-ethnic families and business professionals.

You should definitely consider it an option when looking to purchase in Astoria.
At the risk of offending owners/renters I would stay away! I have lived in the Ditmars area for nearly two years and there are other options to explore. There are plenty of 2 family homes that rent with more space. The Ditmars area is great and the location of the Acropolis is appealing. I have loooked at several places there at different times. It is very common to see mattresses laying out front and I beleive the bed-bug problem is a major issue. It is common knowledge that locals call the Acropolis the Acrapolis. Spend some time looking at the various other buildings and or homes.
I purchased an apt there 3 years ago -it was what I could afford and it was a good decision. Though I think lots of improvements can be made, I generally like it. Here are some comments:

a) I don't know how much "Drug trafficking" goes on - I know some 14 year old got arrested for selling pot but that's not all that crazy!
b) I think the management needs to clean stairwells better - but courtyard is really nice!
c) There is nothing else to buy in that part of astoria- but its such an awesome area
d) you can get good rental income should you decide to rent it out
e) EVERYTHING is nearby - gyms, supermaket, great restaurants, video rental , banks, drug store etc.
f) Like any apartment your neighbors affect you - if they are pigs you may have problems with bugs etc- be sure to complain to management if this occurs and the situation will improve fore everyone.
g) more young people are buying and hopefully they will push management for further improvements - unfortunately some companies own like 30 units and rent to losers so it messes up the complex vibe.
h) you ALWAYS get a seat on the subway... priceless!
Ive lived in this building for about a year now and really like it. I love the neighborhood, it is safe and its close to the train and to the city which is a big plus. The building has security at night and to be honest, I havent seen the police much here. I think it is safe and the garden is really pretty.
Please check with the 114th Precinct, as I did. The police are there regularly because of drug trafficking. The place has a bad reputation even though the neighborhood is outstanding. Good luck but check with the police!
If you do go to the police, theyh will tell you the opposite. In the old days many, mnay years ago you would have been correct. Today, its as safe as any other area in Astoria. It has an on site management and it is gated. Best location in Astoria. Yes, the complex is old but if you buy a fully renovated Unit then you have a homerun. Unless you are a contractor or have family in the construction business I would stay away from an old - unrenovated unit. It can cost 30k or more to renovate an old unit even 45K or more if you are looking for a top of the line "gut rehab"

Dollar for dollar, Youa re not going to get a better investment in that zip code!
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 12, 2008
Hmmm, heard pretty bad things about the place. Went to visit an apartment some time back
Good: Cheap. Pretty well kept park/tree areas between buildings.
Bad: During the (planned) visit I spotted 2 roaches hanging out on one of kitchen walls. The apartment I visited was dark and unappealing. I was actually glad to leave the place. Hallways to the apartement were tight and walls were dirty. Since then, I've heard of some estate agents that would not sell/rent from this place because renter seems to leave the place in a hurry... Its my feeling that the place has a REALLY bad problem with bugs and it would cost too much to the CO-OP to deal with.
I would stay clear, but that's only my opinion and experience...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2008
Stay away from this place! I owned & lived there 3 years. The grounds just got worse and worse while the cost went up and up. If you see their management offices, you'll see where all the money goes. It took 2 years to sell. I lost buyer after buyer because banks don't allow loans for that building due to terrible finances and poor management. Their words, not mine. Their finances are allegedly a mess. The management is allegedly corrupt. I have no proof, just heard from lawyers, banks and locals. Worst mistake I ever made. Stay away! Anyone who says otherwise has an ulterior motive. They either work there, own and sublet, or own and are protecting their investments. They'll sing another tune if they finally sell. Great location though.
My husband my son and i lived in the Acropolis for 3 years we are very happy is a good place to live thank you Acropolis CHIARA Pagliano and family
I guess im the only one whose seen roaches, bedbugs, and mice, not to mention Roscoe the bed bug dog van have their own parking spot in the acropolis.. All these people posting here are new to the acropolis, hence those new renovations block all the vermin and force them back in the more affordable rent stabilized apartments.. I guess you get what you pay for..Cheap rent = vermin.. High rent= less crap... And by the way these are co-ops not condos which means you own nothing. And after paying that high price of 300,000 to not own something, your maintenance is still $600 or more for maintenance. Great deal if you ask me...
I grew up in the Acropolis Gardens and my parents still live their and bought their apartment. Growing up, I wasn't aware of any issues (i.e. drug dealing, etc). My apartment did get broken into but to this day I think it was someone that knew us, aside from that I do not recall any other incidents occuring to my neighbors.
I actually bought a two bedroom apartment when I was 21. Married young, things didn't work out and walked away from the mortgage. During that time the acropolis was featured in the New York Times, there seemed to have been corruption going on. We consulted a backrupcy lawyer who told us he had heard about corruption at the Acropolis and not to take any aciton until needed. It never affected our credit and the Acropolis never came after us.
I can confirm that over the years there definitely were drug dealing going on, there have been bed bug issues and roaches. This complex consists of 16 buildings (8 on each side of a square block), the hallway you live in at a particular building really determines the issues you will encounter. 5 floors, two apartments on each floor. I would suggest inquiring how long the other neighbors have lived in the particular hallway you buy in.
My parents are happy, my mom has two complaints. The maintenance is high and during heavy rain water seeps into her apartment. Management has yet to fix this issue and it's been going on for 15+ years. They have had to replace sheetrock on several occassions. The high maintenance has to do with the percentage of renters. I believe less than 30% of the apartments are owned.
Stay away from this place! I lived there 3 years. The grounds just got worse and worse while the cost went up and up. If you see their management offices, you'll see where all the money goes. It took 2 years to sell. I lost buyers because banks won't loan to them. Their words, not mine. Their finances are allegedly a mess. The management is allegedly corrupt. I have no proof, just heard from lawyers, banks and locals. Worst mistake I ever made. Stay away!
To clarify, I lost buyers because banks wouldn't approve loans for that building. Anyone who has great things to say about this place hasn't tried to sell their apartment recently. And may have low standards of living. There's a cat city in the courtyard.
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012
Acropolis- I have owned many units and it is a great place to live and people are super friendly if there were more parking I would have never left. I also provide financing for the building if you have any questions I know many lenders that are not familar with the project. call me if you have any other questions

vincent aiossa
516.233.4842
license # nmls 124292
I have lived at acropolis for 3 years now. I've never heard or had any bed bug issue, and that comment about mattresses being left out on the sidewalk - Ive seen in my three years here maybe two mattresses out, but they looks super old too so I wouldn't assume that's due to bed bugs. In every apartment I've lived in NYC, you see a roach sometimes. I think I've seen 2 roaches in my place before (and we keep it clean) - but the maintenance people are good about coming and spraying as part of your maintenance service. The security is also very nice, you always see a guard around, video surveillance. The courtyard is kept so well. I don't think the stairwell is dirty myself, they have been re-plastering and repainting the stairwell so that always looks nice. The location is amazing too. When we bought the place we made several improvements so our unit is in great condition, if you are renting it would depend on how careful the homeowners are. It's a co-op that's not so in your business, you can have pets and rent out. When you call management's office, the ladies who work there are often a bit rude, but you do get answers. That's about it, we've never heard such things like that its referred to as 'acrapolis', and we have many friends in Astoria, I question this 'common wisdom' or 'word on the street' thing. In terms of the drug trafficking, the most I've seen were some teenagers smoking pot outside the entrance, I've seen that twice. But to say that there are a bunch of strange people coming in and out is just nonsense, that's not happening. I feel we too are a bit spoiled by the location, overall we're really happy with it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
my friend currently lives there and as all places it has its ups and downs. first and foremost its very safe. they have 24 hour security, cameras and are installing a video intercom system. plus the neighborhood is safe to begin with but you can never be together. also the location is great with everthing you need in the area. as for the condition of the apartments that depends on the tennant. if you have clean people then there are no bugs but if there a mess then that leads to unwelcomed visitors. the hallways i must admit are a mess and they could inprove in other small aspects as well but it seems more young people are moving in which is always a good sign