Joe, Both Buyer and Seller in York, PA

Anyone have experience building with a modern 2 story colonial modular home? Quality issues?

Asked by Joe, York, PA Tue Dec 30, 2008

I have beenresearching and Pro-Built homes have has some good 2500-3000 sft plans (local to central PA) .

http://http://www.pro-builthomes.com/Images/PDF/EngineeredPr…

Joe

Answers

5
Tracy’s answer
Hi Joe,

Two years ago, my husband and I built a 2 story modular colonial. Our modular company was Simplex Homes out of Scranton (their local builder dealer for the Scranton area is Cornerstone Building Solutions). We are extremely happy with our house. The quality is great, it looks just like a stick built, and once delivered to our site, it only took 2 months to complete. Our financing and insurance were just like stick built.... no difference at all. And we recently refinanced, and the house appraised for much more than we bought it for, even thought the appraiser knew it was a modular!

Best wishes,
Tracy Tully
You need only to look at the CT judicial site and put in Probuilt Homes. This is a prominent modular company in PA. Look at memorandum of decisions. Large lawsuit. Had to replace the siding and roof. Rake boards had sections missing. Inferior materials throughout a 2000 ft colonial. Over $50,000 in repairs. More for lawyer fees. The list goes on. I won, for $80,0000. Probuilt had two big-shot lawyers. Please don't go modular. You have to pay them in full as soon as the home is delivered and you have no recourse except through a lawyer. Even with a favorable judgment these creeps never paid me a dime.
I do not have a preference (modular or stick built) ...not interested in marketing spin. Why would modular (not manufacturered i.e. mobile) or stick built have a different interest rate or resale value? Have not heard of financing liabilities or poor reputation from these builders.

I review the specifications for "system built" manufactured homes from Pro-Built and Apex ect. They use 2" x 6" construction and substantial joist/ truss systems 16" on center and braced to support transport.

Has anyone had a bad experience with large modular home construction? The designs I have reviewed are 80% modular and 20 % stick built onsite... basement / foundation, custom bumpouts and garages built onsite.

One more thought... Ryan Homes are system built with partial finished walls shipped to the job site. They are not considered modular or lower resale value...

Any further thoughts,

Joe
There are some very good options in modular homes. However I have two cautions for you.

1. If you don't plan to stay in the home "forever", you need to consider resale value. I won't get in to whether it is right or wrong, but many buyers won't consider a modular home, period. (This may not apply in warmer climates, but in central Pa, it is definately a consideration!)

2. Watch out for high pressure sales and overstated benefits. Be sure this is what you really want, not just something you got talked into. Do some very careful research to be sure that you are getting real value. By the time you buy a lot, pay for permits and get the utilities hooked up, put in the foundation and contract to have the home assembled you may find that you are paying more than you would have spent on an existing or newly built "stick built" home.

OPPS, I have a third caution: Talk to a lender (DON'T USE THE ONE THE SALES PEOPLE SUGGEST WITHOUT GETTING A SECOND OPINION) and an insurer to confirm that your interest rate and insurance premiums are comparable to traditional housing. A 1/4 higher interest rate over 30 years can erase any savings you might have made on the purchase.

It's like anything else, there are good and bad providers of any product or service. Shop well and then have a ball with the construction process. It can be lots of fun! Good Luck.

(is your question real, or clever marketing? I just had to ask.)

Eileen's Green Team at Gateway
Yeah started my career working with manufactured and modulars, there r no issues. They r built bettert because they r built indoors under a dry roof.

Standards r also higher, the manufacture can give you their building standards and then it will be in writing for u.

Loved going to the hone shows in York back in 99 through 2002.

Good Luck to You ang hope I helped!