Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

from_lorrain…, Home Buyer in Arizona Reflections CA...

Any words to offer a first time buyer moving from California to Arizona? I do not have unlimited resources. Crime rate is a high priority.

Asked by from_lorraine_stone, Arizona Reflections CA, Chandler, AZ Mon Nov 11, 2013

Answers

15
Metrophoenix encompasses many areas and price ranges. In addition to crime rate, other factors ( Buyer's Advisory) for consideration are employment and the need, if any, to proximity to work. Being pre- approved will provide a clearer price range. Staying within your means is encouraged and supported. Couple that with areas that fit your desires, and it will significantly help you laser in on location.

I have a local loan officer I could recommend for assistance to get you started, with no obligation.

Judy Blake
Homesmart
judyblakerealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
We have found the perfect spot for many first time buyers, we can help you determine the priorities for your move. Obviously you have already identified crime and affordability as two that are important.

You might also consider:

Commute time?

Distance to Airport?

Schools (Either for your own or Resale)

Amenities Nearby

We have financing programs with 100% financing, even some in the city.

Lets communicate and put a plan together to find the best situation for your wants and needs.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Crime rate is a high priority for Phoenix buyers because neighborhoods can change significantly from one block to another. Do some checking at places like city-data.com and find a realtor who will help you explore neighborhoods. There's something for every taste here.

Matthew Hoedt
The Green Team @ Realty ONE Group
http://www.myPHXagent.com
602-573-0700
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Hi Lorraine

I work with a lot of first time homebuyers. One thing you need to know and understand is not to buy under pressure. Take some time, do some homework on different areas, look at schools, sex offenders, crime stats and price ranges. The buyer"s advisory available at http://www.aaronline.com is a great resource for all buyers to review. Once you decide where to buy. Get out there with the REALTOR you choose and start narrowing down what you like and don't like. Give he or she a lot of feedback so that they can further tailor your search to find your perfect home. Once you find it and negotiate all of your terms you have a TEN day inspection period to do further research on that particular property. This is your time to decide if you really want to buy it or not.

There are lots of great agents out there. Choose one that you like, feel comfortable with and can have open honest conversations with. This will help you get the best home for your money.

When you are ready to interview agents. I would love to be on your list.

Howard Rudin
WEST USA REALTY
"Home Buying Simplified"
602-390-8088
TOP 1% Sales West USA Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Moving from California to Arizona is a great move when comparing the difference in cost of living and median home prices. Depending on your price range it may at times be difficult being up against some cash investment buyers when putting in offers. Although we have seen a bit of investor slow down in some parts of the valley still be aware when submitting offers you may be up against short closing times and higher priced cash offers. First time buyers using FHA funding may run into some road blocks when buying condos because some condo complexes meet FHA requirements. Looking into some low down payment conventional loan products may alleviate the hurdles when buying a condo. As for crime concerns I have used Trulia's community crime map to see police reports and number of reports filed in a given area. Good luck and happy home hunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Dear Lorraine,
Welcome to the Valley of the Sun. We relocated from CA to Arizona in 1981 and have never regretted the move. Although the area has grown in population steadily since we first arrived, it is not nearly as crowded or hectic as California. You will enjoy the lifestyle and friendly atmosphere here. We have assisted multiple first time home buyers with their real estate transactions. We have multiple resources available for you. It is important to understand the function of the various people involved in the transaction, to have an idea of the timeline and to have someone explain the standard real estate sale documentation we use here in Arizona. The Arizona Buyers Advisory (http://www.aaronline.com/2013/01/buyer-advisory/) is a great place to begin.
Gary and I have been full time realtors since 1993 and would be pleased to assist you with your new adventure.
Claudia Scott
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Hi Lorraine!

Are you interested in leasing or purchasing at this time? Where are you going to be working and how much of a commute are you looking at? Arizona has specific websites for every area and you can type in an address and find the crime rate...I always recommend it to my Leasing/Buyer clients:)

If there is anything I can do to assist, please contact me as my company does a Valleywide business!

Mary Ann Monaco, Broker
ma@maryannmonaco.net
480-309-6802
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Hi Lorraine!

Welcome to Arizona! I moved from California to Arizona as well several years ago. I would be happy to help you in your home search. I live and work in Chandler and it has been wonderful, although crime is higher in the northern part of Chandler. There are excellent resources to help you look at crime rates. I have posted a link below. There are also other great communities nearby such as Gilbert. Please call me so we can talk more about what you are looking for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
I could provide some detailed relocation information.
Please contact me direct.

Lucinda Tkach
Phoenixrealtorservice@gmail.com
602-799-6847
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
I am not planning on having a "regular job" that I will need to commute to. I plan to continue to sell online as I do now with some light sporadic commuting.
I plan to buy with CASH, no mortgage, no leasing.
Flag Mon Nov 11, 2013
Actually I am reconsidering Arizona locations - after taking a closer look at CRIME rates tonight. I do not want to own property in a known high crime rate area. I am not quite ready to buy as we are waiting to sell some property...maybe in hopefully a couple of months at the beginning of 2014. Selling our place should not be too difficult (I live in the Bay Area)...I am expecting to be able to move forward on relocation at the beginning of 2014/beginning half of 2014. I may not be the type of client you are interested in...I am looking to spend about $100,000.00 give or take maybe up to $130,000.00. I want property built after the year 2000. I want property as green as possible. Should we be talking?
Flag Mon Nov 11, 2013
It looks like you received a lot of advice from people in the business so here is one from someone who just knows the areas fairly well. It appears that you may be single. For just the social aspect and convenience to everything, I would look in Scottsdale. North of Fashion Square (85251) or at least north of Indian School Road. There are lots of great places and even during the recession we had here, that area was hit with less of a decline. Granted you may pay more for less of a place however always a market. Or anywhere around the Biltmore area (85016), once again, pay more. Both of these areas are great for walking or biking, shopping, stores, night life and restaurants. Otherwise you will find yourself in a community that closes up (except around universities such as in Tempe) around 7:30PM. Safety always an issue so that would be one of my greatest concerns too. Rent FIRST somewhere while you get use to the different areas, even if it is for just a few months.

Hope this helps.....Lynette
You obviously have access to the internet. Start scouting around for local real estate brokers/agents and you will know when you get a good feel for someone. Call and speak with that person(s) and if you think that's the pro you want to work with- then get them working for you. The professional will already have a list of lenders you can call that will be able to get you whatever kind of financing you may need. The agent will also know the areas and commute times (approximate) from this area to that area depending on traffic etc.. Obviously crime stats can be found very easily and the professional your working with will have some opinions and facts about the area to talk with you about. That's why it's important to get with the professional(s) that have local knowledge and experience. The process is totally simplified and it doesn't cost you a thing, so make sure you utilize what's available to you and let the professional do their job for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
You need an experienced agent, we can refer you to a top agent in AZ that can advise you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 16, 2013
Since you don't have unlimited resources, I'm guessing you want to finance. For help with everything to do with home loans I have some excellent super experienced people I could recommend. On the lighter side 110 degrees feels real hot even when it's a dry heat. In my opinion though we have 8 or 9 months of great weather.
I'd recommend looking around at different areas that have properties that appeal to you...once you drive around and see those areas, check the ones you like online. You'll get more for your money if you go further out from the city. I work on the east side of the valley and since you want something 2000 and newer, I'd check out Queen Creek and Maricopa as well.
Hi Lorraine,

You ask a really great question. This website details crime statistics by neighborhoodhttp://www.neighborhoodscout.com/az/phoenix/crime/

Since you have limited resources, getting pre-approved for a home loan should be your first step. It will give you a price range to begin your home search and will also educate you on the cost of purchasing (downpayment, closing costs and inspections). I am happy to walk you through this.

You can begin the approval process by visiting http://www.BLalliance.com - Apply now page or by calling me directly 480-593-4510

Lizy Hoeffer
NMLS # 260183
Sr. Loan Officer/Cobalt Mortgage