Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Emiley, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Any suggestions on where to start looking for a lender?

Asked by Emiley, San Diego, CA Wed Apr 10, 2013

Answers

25
Emily, if you have a Realtor that you are working with, they should have lenders that they have worked with in the past and are comfortable working with. Communication between the lender and realtor is very important throughout the transaction. Ask you friends and family and talk to a couple different lenders. Use the time to gauge both the quality of their advice as well as how comfortable you feel dealing with them. You might want to talk to your local bank, as well as a few independent brokers. Good Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013
Good Afternoon Emiley,

In addition to what has recently been posted, I would recommend working with a small to mid-size direct lender. These lenders generally work faster than the big banks and are more customer focused. Some guarantee fast close times that can help you achieve your goals. I have a few recommendations if you would like to contact me directly.

It may also be a good idea to post what you are looking to achieve. Are you looking to buy a home, refinance...?

Again, please feel free to contact me directly if I can do anything to help.

Rich Rechif
REALTOR Broker
Balboa Real Estate Group
619.800.4097
RRechif@BalboaREG.com
CA DRE 01873777
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 10, 2013
If you are in the downtown area, swing by and check us out. We are in the DiamondView building next to Petco field (and we validate). Good luck!

rdeblanco@firstcal.net
Hello Emiley,

Contact Brian Shaw and Mark Buchanan with San Diego Funding, their direct phone number is 858-356-4005.They give extremely professional, personal service, with their honesty and attention to detail along with their knowledge of finance have earned them high marks among their client Rated top in the industry, they were in the president's Club for Wells Fargo (top 10 in the country) plus #1 in the country for Home service Lending (a Warren Buffet Company). They tirelessly work miracles on a regular basis and have saved more than one deal for me.Needless to say, my clients love them, they're truly the best!

Michael Alex
Real Estate Consultant
“The Trustworthy Choice in Real Estate”
cell. 858.652.9218
email. AskMichaelAlex@gmail.com
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
San Diego,CA
I've always used a mortgage broker, preferably one recommended by someone you trust. Don't hesitate to talk to more than one - deals change daily and brokers often deal with multple financial institutions, but not necessarily the same ones. The broker is also going to spend the time necessary to get you a good deal esp. if they are aware that you're talking to more than one broker. The financial institution that eventually gets your business will pay the broker. The broker will then provide you with a pre0approval letter showing you are approved up to a certain amount/payment.

Your real estate agent is a good place to start, so are friends and neighbors - don't leave out the bank or credit union that you use for everyday banking. It's also a good idea to know your credit scores - all three of them - before applying or beginning the process. Get them (almost) free through the approved US Gov't. credit bureau site (be careful, there are many with very similar names that will charge you unecessay fees). The only fee you should pay will be relatively small to get your credit score. Often the broker you're working with will provide a copy of your scores at his cost. My broker got me all three scores and a copy of the report for $13 last week.

Check the report for any errors. If you find any, call the credit bureau (Experian, Equifax and/or TransUnion). They'll want you to explain the error in writing and submit it with any supporting paperwork - then, if you are correct - they will correct the error on their report and reach out to the other two bureaus to set things straight.

Hope this helps.
Emiley,
Ask your friends and family for a referral. Someone you know will have a trusted referral for you.
Finding lender for your project is not an easy task. Shop online to have an rough idea. Investors and lenders of all kinds are tightening standards, requirements, and criteria by which they judge business plans, entrepreneurs, and who gets the money.
I would call Casey Forrester 714-334-4268..cforrester@primelending.com
Hello Emiley,

Try speaking to the mortgage consultant at the bank or credit union where you do your personal banking.

If you have a realtor he/she can refer to a lender.

I prefer to work with direct lenders. Sometimes buyers using a loan broker can have a hard time getting their offers accepted especially in this market.

Too bad you are not in my nick to the woods. I have two GREAT contacts. One with Wells Fargo in Huntington Beach and one with Union Bank in Irvine.

Much f Success in your home loan and home search!!!!!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Hello Emiley,

I would ask people you trust that have bought a home recently who they would recommend. Your real estate agent may have lenders they have worked with and consider professionals.

Lenders come in several categories: banks which can be rather impersonal and only represent their loan products, mortgage companies who shop loans to a variety of lenders, and mortgage bankers which are direct lenders and offer clients rates from various investors.

I work for a mortgage banker and we are direct lenders. I am a native San Diegan and served my clients as their loan officer for over 24 years. I love what I do and welcome the opportunity to serve new home buyers.

Emiley, whomever you choose should be someone you feel comfortable with; who listens and answers your questions and will work closely with your real estate agent. His/her job is to make sure you get the best available loan with interest rate and terms you can afford. They will pre-approve you for a loan so you will be able to buy when you find the perfect home.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Michele Kole
Senior Loan Officer
Land Home Financial Services, Inc.
858-634-1208
mkole@lhfinancial.com
I can give you the contact information for the lender I always use. Contact me if you would like the info.
Hi Emiley,

I'm biased because I AM a lender, but I did want to pass along the link to a free, 30min homebuyer webinar that I host each month. If you join us, you'll not only learn the basics of purchasing a home and the process it requires, but you'll also get a really good idea on whether RPM would be a good fit for you. Hope to see you there!

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Hi Emiley, 

One thing to add, this is a tough market for buyers, so you'll want your lender to be a direct lender. Getting a full verification pre-approval with a director will hold more weight with sellers and their listing agents when selecting an offer to accept, no matter what their reviews are on z....w. 

I choose my lenders by how they are in escrow, and if they close loans. Some lenders don't like agents who want to keep track of the loan process for their buyers, and that's a big red flag. That's it, I don't have any affiliations with lenders, I'm only concerned with their performance, if they're competitive with interest rates, and if their fees are reasonable. 

San Diego Funding has a great reputation among agents, and they're a local direct lender. 

Please let me know if you need any further help. 

Warm Regards, 
Cory
Hello Emiley,

By no means am I a lender, but being in the industry, I can definitely steer you in the right direction. Many have mentioned that they have a relationship with a lender and while I can appreciate that, this does not guarantee that this is who you should go with. Just like any other professional you would choose to work with, it is important to interview more than one candidate and have a list of questions that you would like answered (for a list of questions, I'd be happy to share those with you.) Don't be afraid to ask for names/numbers of clients they have worked with. Also, whenever you work with a lender, make sure to get a "good faith estimate" and compare this with another one, so you can compare costs. Be very careful in doing this as you want to be certain you are comparing apples to apples.

Yes, I did not directly answer your question yet, but felt the above information was critical. As for where to start, you can certainly ask around to people you trust and/or get in touch with a REALTOR you believe has your best interests at heart (by code, this should be the case anyway.) Another place you can go to is a competitors of Trulia, so I will not mention it where, but it does start with a Z and ends with a W. On that site, it has a list of lenders and you can see reviews written up about them. Look for someone with ample reviews and make sure what it says about that individual is in line with your values.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out for any additional information.

Chad Basinger, REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
Hi Emiley,

I generally do not advise my Clients to go down the standard Retail Bank path and here's why:

"Retail Banks vs. Mortgage Broker/Bankers"
http://tinyurl.com/6qln6nd

Also, here's another important detail: http://www.Steven-Anthony.com/GettingStarted

-Steve

You've received loads of suggestions from my colleagues. Start with referrals from friends and family. I often suggest people start with their own bank. You can also search Yelp and other similar sites for high rated mortgage brokers.

I tend to prefer mortgage brokers over banks because they offer a greater selection of loans, and have a higher likelihood of having one that works for you.

If you need help from a Realtor, please feel free to give me a call.

Cindy Davis
619-379-8616
Hi Emiley, It depends on what your financial situation is and where you are hoping to buy a home here in San Diego.

Some lenders are better for FHA loans vs. Conventional, vs. VA. It is best to ask a seasoned Realtor who does a lot of business who they recommend for you specifically, once they sit down with you to hear what your situation is, what you are hoping to purchase, and where.

In certain neighborhoods in San Diego it is more competitive than other neighborhoods, so you may want to focus on a lender that is known for closing deals quickly, on time and without hiccups. Some of the lenders in the area cannot accomplish this, no matter how nice they are or how great their service is.

So in summary, I recommend that you connect with a realtor, discuss what you're hoping to do, and have them point you in the right direction. :)
Pick your lender very carefully.
Look for financial stability, a guarantee to close on time and a reputation for customer satisfaction.
Be sure to choose a company that gives helpful advice, that explains all your options and will be communicating with you throughout the entire purchase process. Choose someone that makes you feel comfortable. Ask your friends, family, Realtor for a recomendation .
Emiley - This is lender JW Bradley comes out in the San Diego Realtor News Letter for a local company with very reputable lending. I have sent my buyers to Phillip he is the MOST HONEST Lender I have ever done business with. Here is his LinkedIn profile below. I hope this helps you. And congratulations on your 2013 endeavor.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/phillip-epps/13/26b/a31
Emiley,
First of all, I want to congratulate you on taking the first step towards part of the AMERICAN DREAM: Homeownership!

Start with your gut, seriously... what impression does the lender give you? does it feel like a person that is an expert and will guide you in the right direction? and if not the expert, is this a person that can get you the truthful answers you deserve once they research them?

Make sure they have an NMLS#

Also, a referral from a friend and family member, or your friendly REALTOR helps. I am never shy about recommending a good friend:
Brian Brady * (858) 777-9751 * brian@12mortgage.com

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
efax 619-270-2516
What are you looking to accomplish? Purchase or refinance?
Web Reference: http://TripointMortgage.Net
Do not look any further. I am here
Hi Emiley,

You need to feel comfortable with your whole team. Realtor and Lender. Once you settle on your lender it's always good to get a second opinion. I'll be very happy to provide that for you. I suggest not running your credit until you have spoken to several lenders , obtained some sort of verbal quote and even a Worksheet breakdown stating the various costs. I specialize in First time home buyers and attribute my almost 30 years of experience to your specific needs. Should you feel unsatisfied with me I can refer you to several other lenders outside my company.
Best wishes,

John Georges
Direct Lender
jgeorges@ocmbc.com
One good place to start is through a referral, either from your real estate agent or through a friend who has had a good experience with someone they have worked with in the past. Another option would be to google lenders names that pop up on this inquiry, as I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies to this. Check out the reviews online and try connecting yourself with a few to see who gives you the best feel.

All the best! :)

Maureen Martin
MMartin@JMJFinancial.com
Hi Emiley,
I can refer an excellent lender to you. Message me directly and I will email you her contact info.

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®

McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
brokermcallister@gmail.com EMAIL