Richard, Home Seller in Sacramento, CA

Any recommendation of good home-warranty to purchase ? Hope to cover for the roof, AC, water heater etc as we are buying a 12 year old house.

Asked by Richard, Sacramento, CA Tue Jan 11, 2011

The AC, water heater might be close to the end of life. We try to ask the seller to pay for the home warranty. This is a 2000sqft single story house.

Answers

27
The best home warranty company is Landmark. They have the best service of all the companies out there. Their website is http://www.landmarkhw.com.

You can see the ratings of all the home warranty companies at http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com/reviews.
Landmark. Mike Anderson, CMO
manderson@landmarkhw.com
866-306-2999
Flag Sat Sep 20, 2014
FYI - Mike Anderson, the person that MikeAnder references is the CMO of

Landmark. Mike Anderson, CMO
manderson@landmarkhw.com
866-306-2999

Self promoting without full disclosure. Not saying it is good or bad, but be aware of who exactly post oustanding reviews on here.
Flag Wed Jan 15, 2014
From another review site... "Mike Anderson
Oct 07, 2012
As indicated, this customer purchased a Standard Home Warranty with the Premier upgrade for $375. Unfortunately this does not cover a refrigerator. Landmark does offer a Value Package with Premier and the refrigerator for only $400. Many of our contracts are purchased with a home, and the seller does not include extra items like a refrigerator.

I am the Chief Marketing Officer for Landmark Home Warranty. We do our very best to be open and honest about all our coverage options, and we provide homeowners up to 30 days after a home closes to upgrade and modify their coverage to ensure all needed items are covered."
Your review doesn't count since you work there.
Flag Tue Nov 12, 2013
Hi Richard

call AHS Home Wararnty at. 1-800-735-4663

Perry
I would like to introduce to you our company, Certified Warranties Corporation.
We are a new breed of home warranty services.
I only ask you to take a look at what we offer at http://www.homecertifiedwarranties.com Our PRO PLAN 60+ covers over 60 items in and around the home and we do not have a service call fee for service.
We are rated 5 stars in review sites that we are presently i and are complaint free with all the major business bureaus.
We are trying to make this industry what it should be without all the bad reviews.

Thanks for listening, please do all your homework on us as you desire I'm positive you'll see the best in us.

Sincerely, David W. CEO
Certified Warranties Corporation
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Dear David W,
I have done a lot of research on Home Warranties.
I live in San Antonio, Texas.
I do like your company but there is only one thing holding me back.
There are no monthly plans.
I am most interested in the Pro Plan XL which is being promoted presently.
Currently I am with another Home Warranty company that will remain nameless and do like Certified Warranties Corp.
I spoke to Shannon (Sales Rep) today and he has informed me that the promotion for the Pro Plan XL is only until the end of July unless extended again.
He has also explained that while there are no monthly plans currently, he and others will be bringing it up since so many people have asked for monthly.
Please advise if you can assist or have more info.
If nothing changes I will be moving from my current home warranty provider to Landmark Home Warranty, although my first choice would be Certified Warranties Corp and the Pro Plan XL.
Flag Sat Jul 19, 2014
Do not use Colonial Home Warranty. They deny all claims based on unsubstantiated facts and then offer to review them if you pay for the repairs and submit the receipts.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Richard, You definately should have your Realtor recommend several companies for home warranty and compare them side by side. However the roof is not covered in your home warranty, you will see the price of your property insurance covers the roof, and there may be a specific deductable for roof replacement. I live and work in this area, call me for any other questions and I am happy to help. Melissa
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2012
Most people in Texas have 1% deductibles and see average deductibles at $1500 to $2000. Property insurance isn't going to cover any expense below that and then only for covered perils. The average minimum repair will run around $300.
Flag Thu Feb 20, 2014
Stay away from One Guard. They blame every issue on maintenance, that of course is not covered. My ac compressor was not coverd due to, tada maintence issues...................
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 21, 2012
My clients and I have had good results with American Home Shield in the past.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
512.669.5599
listings@dongroff.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 12, 2011
NOT LANDMARK! I know this feed is super old but they are terrible. Both of my thermostats quit working within 2 weeks of owning our home. They worked fine on the home inspection. They said they would replace the one down stairs but not the one upstairs because it was a "zoning thermostat". THEN when they came out LANDMARK had supplied the installer a refurbished one. They are a joke.
I would avoid Landmark Home Warranty at all cost. I fell for all the GREAT reviews they have on one of the rating sites, only to find out they contract the jobs out to amateurs. In the 3 times I have had to use the warranty I have been forced to pay cash and once couldn't even get a receipt. I don't know who to suggest, but I can tell you who to avoid.
They're all pretty bad and try to weasel their way out of coverage.

It's a nice selling tool for sellers, but buyers really shouldn't expect anything to be covered.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
I've had First American during my first year of home ownership. I used it a couple of times for minor repairs. Despite having some difficulties getting service in a timely manner, I have been planning to renew for peace of mind. Just got the renewal notice and they've jacked up the price to $744 -- over $200 more! Very disappointed. When I called the rep said that I had gotten the home buyer's discount initially and now I was going to have to pay the "consumer" price. Has anyone else come across this?
LANDMARK IS BY FAR THE BEST .... WELL OK THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE'S IVE EVER USED BUT THEY DO TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS. I PAID 550.00 FOR MY WARRANTY WITH 60.00 SERVICE CHARGE. FIRED UP MY AC UNIT LAST WEEK AND IT DIDNT WORK. CALLED LANDMARK THEY HAD TECH OUT THE NEXT DAY. TECH SAID ENTIRE UNIT OUTSIDE NEEDED REPLACED. CALLED LANDMARK AND THEY HAD AN APPROVAL WITH 24 HOURS. I DID SOME RESEARCH AND THE UNIT THEY INSTALLED WITH MATERIALS AND LABOR WAS OVER 2500.00. I WILL SAY READ THE FINE PRINT MAKE SURE YOUR STUFF IS SERVICED AND MAINTAINED LIKE IT'S SUPPOSE TO BE. BIG THANKS TO SARAH BORDER (DFW SALES EXECUTIVE) FOR TAKING CARE OF ME THRU THE ENTIRE PROCESS.
Since his question is over 3 years old, he probably decided already. Why do people keep doing this?
maybe because OTHER PEOPLE have the same question... just a thought. that's why i'm on this site now.
Flag Sun Apr 6, 2014
Do NOT use Old Republic Home Warranty. They are TERRIBLE
Depending on who you speak with, all home warranties are just like insurance companies. That being said, my clients have had the most success with replacements and coverage with Old Republic Home Warranty. This includes my own parents who bought an 80's house in 2011. During the following year, the warranty company replaced their garage door opener, furnace, then the evaporator coil. I had my garage door opener replaced and AC compressor repaired with them. My clients have had success with their evaporator coils replaced, disposals repaired, plumbing leaks promptly taken care of and many other items.
Ha I had ORH myself. Just got my letter and they are not going to renew us for 2 claims me made this year on the AC!!! NICE
Flag Thu Jun 5, 2014
I am looking for one as well....I have tried First Ameriacan Home Buyers and Choice Home Warranty, First American use contractors that not knowledable of their job and unprofessional takes up to a week to diagnose the problem and another week to repair with diagnosis being incorrect. Choice Home Warranty is A Rip Off, me being a small business with investment property and a home owner i need a good warranty company.
Lethitia email me if you will avsxvizion@gmail.com
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014
Most home warranty companies have an age limit, so be careful.

Check out this FREE consumer report that reveals the 9 Facts You Should Know Before Buying A Home Warranty.

http://www.guardthehome.wix.com/freeconsumerreport
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014

Colonial Home Warranty should be on top of your list, I have had them for years and had nothing but good results. They are highly rated http://rateitall.com/i-3171570-colonial-home-warranty.aspx and https://www.onlinebusinessbureau.com/Companyrating.cfm?Compa… they make for a good home warranty company and respond quickly. Give them a call at 877-313-0001 and see what sort of coverage they offer. Just a side note, they are less expensive then AHS and the rates have not gone up for me in years.
Do not use Colonial. They find all kind of excuses not to do repairs.
Flag Mon Jun 2, 2014
are they out of business by now? No more response from them!!!
Flag Sun Mar 23, 2014
What would be your top 3 choices on home warranty ?
We're narrowing down to Allied Home & Old Republic.
Do typical home warranty fix plumbing, block drainage at the sink, garbage sink disposal (including running "snake" steel to push through the blockage ?
Richard, you'll notice that Greg has a good point. I don't know of a residential service contract ("home warranty") that covers roof, either. Home warranties are designed to cover mechanical systems, like A/C, plumbing, electrical and so on, not structural or cosmetic items.

There are quite a few licensed companies offering "home warranties". These service contracts are a lot like insurance. The roof is normally covered under your homeowner's insurance, interestingly enough.

But each company has its good points and bad. After years of trying different ones, I have pretty much narrowed in down to three. Two of them are for homes that have no pool or the buyer doesn't want to cover it. Every company has its years when they're "managing" their contractors and you get the following scenario:
you pay for a service call (say $60), the serviceman says he can fix it but there are things the RSC won't cover, the uncovered items are more than having the item repaired without the warranty company. You throw up your hands and call in a service company not referred by the warranty company to fix it for less.

You might ask why. RSC companies negotiate with contractors to fix certain items for a very low fixed price. The broken water heater your RSC guy wanted $725 for the non-covered items might be fixed for $600 from someone else, but the warranty company pays him only $425. He has to make up for the loss by charging you for uncovered items. I've had this problem with a company mentioned by several contributors below 3 times in the last 5 months and wound up going outside the RSC.

Here's an article you might like http://www.SumnerRealty.com/content/article.html/2015178
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
Richard,
I recommend Fidelity Home Warranty (call Tammi Burgee at 1-800-308-1424 x3614) or also One Guard Home Warranty (call Tom Westhora at 888-896-0014).

I also recommend that you hire a Realtor to represent you. There should not be any cost to you as a buyer for hiring a realtor to represent you. Your agent will be able to assist you with all of the questions that you have been asking on Trulia. Your agent will be there with you throughout the entire transaction to make sure that your home buying process goes smoothly.

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team, Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
Your buyers agent should be assisting you with all this information part of services we provided. You can also Google search for the data

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
I like Fidelity National Home Warranty. They have excellent customer service, and are prompt in sending out a contractor to do repairs.
Old Republic Home Warranty is a favorite of mine. They seem to have the most extensive coverage, best customer service, and most competitive price. Since you're from Texas I would also recommend Allied Home Warranty since they are local and the customer service is as prompt as any warranty company my clients have dealt with. These companies should cover most of the A/C problems in their basic package, but I would read the fine print first.
I have had a number of past clients complain about AHS. They are popular though and many seem very satisfied with them.
Not meaning to sound redundant, but these are questions for your Realtor. Let him/her know you've been discussing this online and see if her recommendation echoes any of the thoughts here.
I used AHS for many years cancelled with them last year april basiclly for the same reason the willowbabies were complaining about the service was starting to get very poor, especially with the contractors, thats when i tried a couple more but was not satisfied with them either. Really need a good professional company that uses knowledable contractors
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014
We are changing from AHS, after several years of service. The last repair was for the refrigerator which took six service calls to get it right. I have noticed, in last couple of years, the service people are not very qualified, and are usually "one man & his truck" operations. The refrigerator repairboy was in a leg cast and ask if my husband could help him. After the refrigerator episode, AHS cancelled us. It wasn't our fault they sent someone that didn't know much about what they were doing. There were many times it would take a week before they sent a repair person, One of the people they sent told us we needed a new a/c, which would have cost us $2000 (our part). After many calls requesting a second opinion, they finally acquiesced, and sure enough, no new a/c required. They were willing to make the replacement rather than take a second look. That replacement would have been costly to us as well. There are now many other choices since we connected with AHS.
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
Flag Mon Apr 22, 2013
I have had nothing but good experiences with First American Home Warranty. The cost of the basic policy plus upgrade is $420. Noticed that you mentioned roof coverage. I don't know of a home warranty that covers the roof.

Hi Richard,
I see you have asked several questions on home buying so I am wondering do you not have an agent? These are all questions your agent should be able to help you with. A home warranty will run around $450, be sure to compare what is covered in each as well as what they charge you for a servfice call. You can also purchase extended coverage. I too usually use AHS . Most real estate offices can give you brochures on several companies. If you ask the seller to pay which most buyers do, they have the option of chosing the company unless you specify who you want, so you may want to have that put in the offer.
There are several to choose from and all priced similar. A home warranty is not always what it is cracked up to be, but definitely get the seller to pay for it if possible. The AC unit is usually an add-on to the normal policy. Make sure you know what is covered.