Home Buying in Albany Park>Question Details

Dwood, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Any insights into buying a condo in Albany Park or Iriving Park? Safe? Good Investment? Better options?

Asked by Dwood, Chicago, IL Tue Jul 31, 2007

New job in NW suburbs causes me to look near hwy and near Metra, while love of city causes me to look in Chicago. Currently I live in Andersonville where I love "walkability" to neighborhood infrastructure. I recognize I may sacrifice that for a larger, more-affordable condo in area with easy commuter access. Safety is a priority and of course I'd love to see return on investment. Price range: 200K-240K. I don't know much about Albany Park or Iriving Park neighborhoods and am interested in their investment performance potential, their "vibe" as a neighborhood, their safety etc. I greatly appreciate any thoughts!

Answers

2
I live in Albany Park, having moved here after residing in the Edgewater area for 20 plus years. I never thought I'd adjust to this neighborhood but I have and I love it! Here in Albany Park there's that "everyone's excepted" vibe. Neighbors say hello and actual eye contact is made while walking down the street. We chat over here, whether it be while barbecuing on the back deck or doing yard work out front. While there are no big supermarkets, there are plenty of smaller markets where you kind find nearly everything you want. There are also many restaurants that are within walking distance and then there are scads of restaurants over in Lincoln Square one mile away. It's absolutely a walking neighborhood and it's gorgeous! My neighborhood is SAFE, I suppose mostly because neighbors are always outside and know each other. I have a car but rarely use it, living just two blocks from the el. And my trips to see family in the north burbs take only a half an hour versus 45 minutes or more when I lived in Edgewater. I love, love, love it here. It is a great community and it's small enough so that the shop and restaurant owners know your name. Two thumbs up for my wonderful neighborhood! May my home value increase in the coming years.
They are both great neighborhoods and pretty comparable in terms of what you can get within your price range, which will be typically a 2br/2ba resale or new conversion, 240k might be able to get you into new construction likely to be off the beaten path. Rule of thumb will be, buy somewhere with parking ,walking distance (3 blks tops) of the elevated train, the eastern the better, if appreciation is important . East Albany Park I would say is a bit more in tune with your beloved Andersonville since it benefits from being right next to hip Lincoln Square , and is sought-after by most budget concious condo buyers looking for equity, as a good alternative . Hope this info, is plenty useful and if you want to get more into it please contact me via E-mail.Good luck !!
Web Reference: http://www.chrismoisio.com