Home Buying in Roseville>Question Details

Erose2k, Home Buyer in Roseville, CA

Any concerns with purchasing a house with a pool that's filled in with soil? Would be decrease resale value or make it less attractive?

Asked by Erose2k, Roseville, CA Tue Apr 10, 2012

Answers

9
As it will most likely require a permit. I would look into that first and take into consideration the cost involved and if it would make sense to make corrections if needed. If you love the house and intend to stay there a while, could still be a good opportunity...
I would check with your local government agency and your lender. As far as value is concerned, you will know more after doing reasearch.
well it would make swimming more difficult...
A pool can be filled in if it is damaged and can not be repaired. It does require a permit in most areas of Ca though. In regards to its value it no longer can be consided so it would not add value to the property. Structures are valued first and then amenities are added, so in this case the pool would no longer be an amenity. I hope that helps with you question.
Yes I would be concerned and feel it would decrease market/resale value.

More would need to be explored: Why & How was the pool filled in, were the correct guidelines and procedures follow to satisfy the city/county.
Check with the city where the property is located, it could be a code violation that requires removal of the pool. This happened to me in Silicon Valley - I had to have a protected tree moved in an apartment complex. The inspectors came to the property to see what the owner wanted to do, saw the pool, wrote it up. We had to dig it out, have the hole inspected for contamination, and then re-fill it. Ouch.
From the lender perspective, it is a health and safety hazzard and it will have to a) be filled, or b) fenced in so that no one will fall into it. Otherwise, it is unlikely that a lender will extend a loan on the property.
If the pool did not work they should have removed and filled it correctly, if you buy it then it will become your problem and your cost to complete it correctly
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
It would be interesting to hear the Owner's response as to why he did that?
Yes! Absolutely; it would do both.

Particularly in the Valley where a pool is an asset.
They made it very hard to do an inspection, so you would have to assume that it needs repair and discount it accordingly.