Ellen, Home Buyer in Great Neck, NY

Any comments on stucco houses in Great Neck NY? Easy to maintain?

Asked by Ellen, Great Neck, NY Tue Jun 17, 2008

I am looking for a house in Great Neck, and quite a lot of houses are stucco, this is new to me, anyone can expalin what it is and is it easy to maintain? I heard that every 5 -6 years, it needs to repaont and wash, it that true? its it durable, when compare with brick and vinyl?

Answers

4
I just stumbled on your question. I am not a contractor or an expert but I thought that stucco does not need to be painted. I mean, isn't it just that whitish color in the first place ? I think some people paint it but I wouldn't if I did not have to! would love a home that did not need to be painted every 10 years! A little power washing every once in a while can't hurt though!
Hi Ellen,
Stucco is not always made the same. However, it is a mix of plaster and cement. Sometimes pigment will be added to the mix and sometimes it will be painted later on. You should clean it as needed and should check the paint annually to see if it is peeling or cracking. Stucco will expand and contract in due to the temperature, sometimes creating minor hairline cracks in the stucco. You can fix these cracks with certain caulk or other flexible crack sealers to fill the gap. Brick and vinyl also need to be maintained in other ways. Don't let the stucco scare you away! Some other things you can do is speak to some contractors. Also, be sure to have your future home inspected. The inspector will be able to tell you how much work will need to be done to the exterior of the house as well as any other issues on the rest of the property. Good luck!
In the extremes of a NY climate, you are likely to have more maintenance when compared to other finishes, such as brick face, vinyl and cedar shake. I would call a few contractors and ask them, to get an idea of what you can expect. Repainting would probably be needed at least once every seven years.
Ellen,

Stucco is an excellent material and very durable. Florida, a very hurricaine prone area, uses it on just about every house/structure that is built. Stucco is a cementuous finish that troweled on over lathe or to a base coat like cement block. Because it is made of cement it will withstand much more abuse than many other materials. It does need maintenance however and how often it needs to be painted depends on who you talk to. The answer to that questions is more a product of the paint used than the material it is applied to. Cheap paint means that you will need to paint more often, but that maintenance has little to do with subsurface beneath the paint. I hope that helps.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com