Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Edde1900, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

An agent was e-mailing me searches. I never met her or signed anything. I'm not abligated to use her as my buyer's agent, right?

Asked by Edde1900, Boston, MA Fri May 20, 2011

I saw a property on realtor.com and on the bottom of the screen you can request "more info" on it. So an agent e-mailed me back and we talked over the phone twice, and since she's been sending me searches (although I guess it's automatic)
Anyways, I never met her, I never signed anything. I do not have to use her as my buyer's agent if I don't want to, correct?

Answers

11
You are correct. Unless you have signed an exclusive buyer's agreement form, then you are not committed to her services. However, from an ethical standpoint, if she provided you a listing that you have a strong interest in, then you should give her a chance to represent you since she has done some "homework" for you. It's only fair.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 24, 2011
No, you are not obligated to use that Agent as a Buyers Agent unless you signed a Buyer Representation Agreement, which it doesn't sound like you have. I would highly recommend that you "interview" several Agents to see who would be a good fit for you. I would at least "interview" the Agent who has been sending you information and a couple others and let that Agent know if you will be using her or not.
An agent who is proactive in sending you listings, may also be an agent who is proactive, at setting up showings, making herself available to you, getting your offer accepted and working hard for you. As others have said, if you're not working with another agent you're happy with or bound to, might be good to give her a chance. Meet her and find out how she works, about her experience, if you have a good rapport with her.
Hi Edde1900:

You are not obligated to use the agent. But, I wonder if there is a good reason you don't want to give her a chance. It sounds like she is trying very hard to start a positive relationship with you. You might want to consider at least meeting her to see if you think she will work that hard for you!

Ron
All agents responded to your questions are right. You don't have to use the agent that sending you an email listing, but it would be nice to let her know right away that you have no intention of using her. Since you're not obligated to use her, why not give her a chance to let her show you some properties and maybe you might just like to use her after all. Just a thought.

I hope this helps.
Web Reference: http://www.nersarealty.com
Correct, you're not legally bound to her. On the other hand, since she has been providing a service for you, it would nice to give her the opportunity to represent you.
No, you do not have to use the agent as ma. buyer's broker. I would suggest you meet an agent before using them as a buyers broker if possible.
Web Reference: http://www.capecod-re.com
Yep, you are not bound to use this agent as your buyer's agent.
I would just say, that if you are interested in starting an active buying process and are thinking about using an agent, now would be a good time to look for one. Interview a few, ask your friends for referrals, chekc out Trulia profiles, etc - use several resources and go with someone who's professionalism you trust.

Every agent has access to MLS and can send you the updates on your property search. It would be beneficial to you if you run your searches through the agent whom you want to use, because once you see houses that you would like to look at, you can then click a couple of buttons and send a notification to your agent, who can then arrange showings to you. Communication will be easier. Many agents have "a search with a tweak" on their websites, there are providers who use same MLS info, but add extra features to the search, for example you can group your searches more easily, make notes, request showings etc.
Here's an example of what I use on my website:
http://annaglebova.listingbook.com/

Also, when you do choose another agent, please kindly let the other one know you want to be taken off her list. There usually is an unsubscribe button or link in the email, or you can just send a quick email. You don't have to go into details, something like "unsubscribe me please as I no longer need this service" should be enough.

Best of luck!
No. Don't ask her to show you any homes if you don't plan on using her. Let her know right away so you don't waste her time. If you learned about the home you are interested in through her MLS email matches than maybe you should use her if you have noone else.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 21, 2011
Hi Edde1900,

No, you have no obligation to her - as long as you didn't sign a contract stating she's representing you. If you do hire a different agent in the future, you might want to let her know you've hired someone and ask her to take you off her 'mailing list'.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
No, you have no obligation towards her. If you do start working with another agent, you should at least call or email her to let you know you are working with someone else and to take you off of her list.