Home Buying in 07030>Question Details

Tsshepherd, Home Owner in Grosse Pointe Farms,...

An agent showed me several properties, one owned by him. I want to put an offer on his property - can I still have a different agent represent me?

Asked by Tsshepherd, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI Wed Aug 20, 2014

The property is in Michigan.

Help the community by answering this question:


You should have your own representation. How are you going to determine the fair market value? Who is going to negotiate any repairs? Your agent can get an agent in his office to assist you. As an agent this is a very delicate situation and frankly I would not write up both sides if it were my property. I am surprised this agent would be willing to do that, too many things can go wrong. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 20, 2014
It will depend if you signed a contract with him or not? If you did not and you chose to have a new agent represent you, chances are the agent aka owner will be offended. Perhaps speaking with the agent and their broker about why you feel you need a buyer agent who is not the owner may work in your favor.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 20, 2014
Some things to consider:

1. Question to ask yourself: Do you trust the agent? Licensed Real Estate Agents and REALTORs have to adhere to ethical standards and represent material facts appropriately. If you do not trust the agent you shouldn't be working with them. However, If you do trust the agent but believe you need someone representing your interests on the transaction then you may want to investigate if you can get another agent.

Remember that you may have already given this agent personal information which may put you at a disadvantage in dealing with this property (for instance a max budget number... may be harder to negotiate a lower price).

2. Do you have a written agency agreement with the agent? Here in NC we can work on a verbal basis but there is no exclusivity in a verbal agreement. But you could be locked into working with that agent if you have a signed agreement. I believe a good agent and firm would work with the client to either have another agent within the firm represent your interest or allow you to terminate in order to achieve the sale.

3. Are you willing to walk away from the property if you feel you will not be adequately represented or be at a disadvantage?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 20, 2014
Don't spring the 'new' agent on your existing agent.
Proceed as follows"
1. Communicate your understand the conflict of interest regarding an agent representing both sides of the transaction.
2. You want to PROTECT your existing agent and keep your relationship pristine.
3. Ask your existing agent to recommend an agent.

You'll be good to go and your agent will truly appreciate your concern.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 20, 2014
Yes, as long as you did not sign anything with the agent like an agency agreement.

Even if you did sign one that just means you agreed to use the company that agent works with. The broker of the office can assign you another agent to be your agent. That is called designated agency.

If you signed nothing then get your own agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 20, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer