Milly181, Both Buyer and Seller in 80005

Am selling my house and have agreed to the leave the light fittings can I change them though?

Asked by Milly181, 80005 Sun Dec 13, 2009

Answers

8
Milly181,

Good question. According to the contract you should leave the light fixtures in the home that were there when the buyer came through to view your home. All 'attached' features in the home are considered a part of the contract unless specifically put them into the 'exclusions' section of the contract. That often happens with chandeliers, mirrors, certain curtains and shades, etc. Otherwise taking these things could be considered a breach of contract and there would be consequences involves.

Robert McGuire ASR
Realtor/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
If the light fittings were in the house when you listed it and you are under contract then you need to leave what was in the house at the time you listed and went under contract. A good broker or agent will will tell to make those changes before you list your property.
The house must be in the same condition at closing as it was when it went under contract. That means the same light fixtures. However, perhaps the Buyers would agree to replace if they could pick the new fixtures.
Have your agent discuss with the Buyer's agent.

elisabeth@movetoevergreen.com
Are you under contract already? If not, change them out before you get an offer. If there's anything you want to take that is attached to the house, replace it before selling. Even the smallest items become an issue - lighting fixtures, drapes, etc.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 13, 2009
Milly:

If you agreed that they should stay, then they should. HOWEVER … human nature being what it is, have your REALTOR check with the buyer’s REALTOR to see if they’d mind you swapping them out. If they do mind, then the fixtures stay. If they DON’T mind, then replace them with fixtures of comparable value. And by comparable, I mean same style, same price.

If I had a dollar for every time someone took out a very nice crystal chandelier and replaced it with a $50.00 replacement from Home Depot … I’d be as rich as Alan May ...
Hi Milly,

Congratulations on Selling your house. I've always heard the general rule is if it takes a tool to remove it, then it stays unless otherwise specified in the contract. Communication is the absolute best thing. Just find out if the Buyer's mind if you switch them out. You sure don't want any unneccesary stress just before closing. These days it takes so much work on everyone's part just to get transactions closed, the more you all communicate the better your closing will go.

Hope that helps,

Sandy Kinslow
Coldwell Banker Residential Mortgage
Serving the Denver Metro Area
If you agreed to include them they should stay. Check with Buyers Agent to see if they mind. This may avoid some headaches. Fixtures and or appliances must stay and can not be changed out if you agreed to include them in the purchase agreement.
Brian
http://www.kennarealestate.com
It depends--did you specify the existing one would be left or did you make it known that you would be taking and replacing--What is your Realtor advising you to do.

Anna