C Kerns, Home Buyer in Paris, KY

Am retiring this year. Looking for a home in the Fort Myers area priced resonable.

Asked by C Kerns, Paris, KY Mon Apr 13, 2009

I have some savings and would like to invest in a home in the area. I've read alot of the questions asked and the answers are very discouraging. It seems as though a lot of confusing information is being said.Is this the right time to even think about buying a home in the area? Would it be better if I made the trip from KY. to see for myself? Am looking for a house that can be bought for around 30,000.00 cash. Will go a little higher. Thanks for information that I can get.

Answers

4
Good Morning,

The right time for you is when things in your life dictate. At this present time, prices are low, interest rates are low and the number of sales are starting to go up. To find something that fits all your criteria, first you need to ascertain the area you like, based on your interests and where you see yourself living. You must make the trip, drive through different areas and find an area you would be comfortable in. Find a Real Estate agent you can connect with, who gets what you want and then they will look for properties that fit what you want.

Prices are low, and we don't know for sure if the market has bottomed out, but if not we feel we are almost there. Bank owned properties are getting multiple offers. There are a lot of deals to be had. Find a Real Estate Agent you can connect with to help you. If Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte or North Port interests you give me a call and I'll be very happy to find you what you want. We are just North of Fort Myers.

Good Luck.

Genny
I understand that many of the answers posted can be confusing and contradicting. The first encouraging sign we look for in our local market is an increase in sales, and we are seeing that right now. Prices are still low because of the still large amount of homes on the market. Let me know if you would like to see housing statistics for our area, I would be happy to send them to you.

Kimberly Lang
The Kimberly Lang Team
Keller Williams Elite Realty
239-949-8338
239-677-8773 cell
Kimberly@KimberlyLang.net
http://www.kimberlylang.net
Hello! I would suggest that first you have a realtor send you properties via email that fits your criteria. Once you have narrowed down the choices, a visit is highly recommended! That way you can see and feel for yourself the neighborhoods and what location is important to you as far as the surrounding ammenities. There are a number of homes within your price range, however one question you should ask yourself is how much work are you willing to invest, as homes in this price range will surely need at least some cosmetic work. Secondly, what are your future plans for this property? Do you intend on using it specifically as a vacation home, renting it or as a permanent residence? These are questions that will determine your long range goals of whatever you buy and where. As Danielle stated, sales are coming up in Lee County due to the fact that others are thinking like you and are investing in the area. As far as asking if it 's the right time to invest....I believe that each individual has to make that decision for themselves. Yes, prices haven't been this low in a very long time, but you are the one to decide if it is in your best interest to invest. The real estate market will continually change and we don't have a crystal ball to tell us where it will go. We can only go by the current trends and statistics that are available to us. By working with a realtor that knows the area, the changes in the local real estate market and is there for you whenever you may have questions is an important first step! I hope this helps in answering your question and if I can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact me at anytime!
Jeanine Standing Bear, Realtor
Sandals Realty
Cell #239-340-5600
If you haven't been to visit our area, I would highly recommend coming for a visit. That will allow you to determine which areas you like and which you don't. There are a variety of homes in different price points all over the Ft Myers/Cape Coral/Lehigh Acres area and each area will offer a different bang for your buck. Cape Coral and Lehigh have experienced greater price decreases than Ft Myers due to more spec building during the boom in both cities. In the Cape, assessments for water/sewer may be an issue as some properties haven't been assessed yet in certain areas but will be coming due in 2-5 years. Some properties have assessments in and paid or carry a small balance. Most properties in the Cape that are priced around 30-50k do need some work but if you're handy aren't insurmountable. Lehigh has an abundance of properties that need less work in that price range in comparison.

I think that if you're looking to invest in the area, this really is a great time. I'm not saying that because I'm in the business or just because I'm trying to make a sale. There are some very good deals for the dollar down here and they represent a good opportunity. The last 2 months we've seen much more activity and even bidding wars on properties under 100k. Our median price rose 4% in February with the majority of properties coming in at list price or higher.

If I can answer anymore questions or help in any way, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Danielle Sharp
Broker Assoc
Vadala Realty

Direct 239.471.2102
Cell 248.207.4445