Home Buying in Little Rock>Question Details

Sescobarmd, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

Am only interested in homes with basements due to the fact that Arkansas is a tornado zone. How can I register accordingly?

Asked by Sescobarmd, Columbus, OH Sat Apr 13, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://=www.trulia.com/property/37085553-21-Challain-Cv-Little-Rock… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/property/37085553-21-Challain-Cv-Littl…

Answers

7
Scott Deaton, PMP, MBA, REM’s answer
Homes with walk out basements are available in Central Arkansas, but they are far and few between. When searching, your agent would be the one to identify those homes with this feature. If you can't find a home, that you like, with this feature, then other options such as safe rooms can be built or added into the existing home.

When considering basements, remember that there could be moisture issues that you will need to take extra preventive measures for.
Thank you, someone did inform me about the safe rooms, I'm glad to know there is something available. It's hard to believe that people don't take precautions. I'm from the North and we all have basements and the moisture is relatively easy to take care of. Thank you again.
Flag Wed Apr 17, 2013
Your Agent will be able to use their experience to guide you to neighborhoods built with this feature, trying to find this on the web is going to be next to impossible.
Perhaps, but it only takes one to destroy everything, it's better to avoid problems.
Flag Sun Apr 14, 2013
We have quite a few homes in Hot Springs Village with walk outs Just let me know when you would
want to look at them or send me a email and I will send them to you to look at
501-984-0911
Chances are that most homes in Arkansas, except for older homes (like really old) and for homes on a sloping lot, will not have a basement. Most are constructed on a slab. At least in NW Arkansas, it is too expensive to build homes with basements. A home on a sloping lot may have a walk-out basement. What you can look for is a home that has a room (often a bathroom or large walk-in closet) in the middle of the house with no windows where the family may gather during a hurricane. Some older properties also have an underground tornado shelter in the back yard, but most newer homes do not have such a thing. If you insist on a basement, you will be severely limiting the number of homes you have to choose from.
I find that a strange answer. If you're told a tornado is coming and to take cover, wouldn't you like to have some cover to go to. It's called precaution. I lived in Mexico City and we never had an earthquake hit the city....until it did.
Flag Thu Mar 6, 2014
In Arkansas a lot of the basements leak. You need a home with area to have a safe room or comes with a safe room. Some have a safe room added inside their garage.
What you are looking for is a two story that is split to the rear, it's rare to have actual basements here in Arkansas. Also, Tornado Shelters are popular here and it isn't too hard to find homes with them Pre-existing or have them made after the fact
Sescobarnd, I assume you're relocating to Little Rock? We don't actually classify homes in Arkansas as having "basements" perse, but rather a 2-story home. An experienced agent, like myself, can select only 2-story homes and determine from the exterior pictures whether most or all of the downstairs is "below ground level" Or ho look. Rarely will you find a home with ALL of the downstairs below ground on a level lot. You will have what's called a "split to the rear" meaning the front half is below but not the rear of the home. Keep in mind also the "area" in Little Rock is critical in determining the least tornado exposure. The patterns are surprisingly the same having lived here 62 years.

I'd be more than glad to take your information and email you all the acceptable homes. And check me out on Angie's List and see how I go beyond the call.
I am investigating for a family member so would appreciate any information you may have on the areas etc. sescobarmd@hotmail.com Thank you.
Flag Sat Apr 13, 2013