Home Buying in Ormond Beach>Question Details

Tj, Home Buyer in Ormond Beach, FL

Am looking at purchasing a new home from ICI in Plantation Bay, Ormond . Does anyone have comments on quality of construction & dealing w/ICI?

Asked by Tj, Ormond Beach, FL Tue Oct 12, 2010

Answers

9
Stay away...run....

These are the the most despicable people you could ever deal with....they "pride" themselves on quality and customer service. The Owner, Mori Husseini acts like a big man around the area with his supposed charitable ways...and this is the same man whose company doesnt perform to contract and doesnt perform repairs that are part of warranty. I have had my tile floor replaced twice in 4 years and it needs to be replaced again...and cannot get them to perform. Cant even get them to return calls....they act like they are doing you a favor that you could buy one of their houses.....

And add this to the list....they built my house with Chinese Dry Wall..which am now in the process of suing them, and their real estate agent ...which by the way they own Venture Development Realty, who you use at their sales center...Moji Babazedeh, the broker of record is also an EVP with ICI Homes....big title, small man. I actually had my house for sale and recieved a contract for sale...buyer conducted an inspection and it was found that my house has Chinese Dry Wall ....

I plan on going to the press in Orlando and Daytona Beach and making sure it gets on record that these people are underhanded in their dealings. There might also be a fraud issue with the dealings between ICI and Venture Develoment Realty in regards to the sale of my house...

RUN !!!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 15, 2010
In Saint Johns Fl, Planatation Estates and Magnolia

ICI has the problem of hiring AWFUL HORRIBLE Sub Contractors. These guys cannot put a window in straight, paint better than a 3 year old, dry wall SUCKS....they plaster it in lumpy dissaray, and then the wacked out painters come in and PAINT right over the bumps and dents. Our drywall and our paint is HILARIOUSLY despicable. When you do a walk through, upon closing, you could go for HOURS on how bad a job the SUBS do. They are the WORST. Finishing is not their GAME. The finishing on walls and frames and everywhere, is a JOKE.

ICI has NOW asked their Sub Contractors to take a pay cut. THAT SHOULD HELP! They areleady do a horrible job.

As of 2014 cannot claim Chinese Dy Wall, because I think they stopped using it. However their window sills, and trim is all a mess. bumpy, dented, paint running, drywall particles, and then the painters just PAINT RIGHT OVER IT :}

Plumbers are cookoo. They hook up the lines wrong. Hot to cold and cold to hot. The have to go BACK into a finished house and bust out shower / sink/ bath tubs and swap the lines over correctly.

DUMB and DUMBER .....the Subs that they use at ICI Homes Julington Creek

Pool company is Ok, but slow to finish details as well.
I live in an ICI home in an ICI development. I have been here 8 years and only had one plumbing issue.

There are about 300 homes in our development. Very few problems.
We have been home shopping in the Ormond Beach area. We found one ICI home in Plantation Bay that we were particularly interested in, but my wife smelled sulfur (rotten eggs) immediately on entering the house. We were told it was because the house has been locked up for months... so we waited a week and came back. Immediately on entering the house we smelled the sulfur. We left the doors open and walked around outside for about 10 minutes and as soon as we walked in we smelled the sulfur again. We came to the internet to see if anyone else had any issues and are very thankful for the confirmation we got here.
I live in Halifax Plantation just across I-95 from Plantation Bay and have sold a number of homes in that subdivision. Up to this point I have not had the types of problems mentioned here but I would agree that there are many good deals available there and it is a very nicely maintained community. I would think that any Seller would have to disclose when they fillout the property disclosure if there was any Chines Drywall used to build the home assuming that they knew that. The home inspection is the protection and a simple addendum to the sale contract stipulating that Chinese Drywall is not acceptable should alleviate the problems encountered by others.

Dick Picard, Realtor/GRI/SFR
Exit Beach Realty, Ormond Beach
386-295-8187
rppicard@msn.com
Be very careful if you build a home with ICI Homes.

We purchased a home from ICI in April 2010 and have encountered two major problems that ICI is refusing to remediate. The first one concerns the shoddy work done by their concrete subcontractor and the second is that our hardwood floors were not installed correctly, resulting in about half of the planks bowing up on the ends. ICI charged us over $8000. for hardwood floors in the living room and dining room and they are visibly uneven. My research said that this is caused by moisture either from the concrete slab, or from the flooring and all installation materials not being in the house 48 hrs prior to installation. ICI agrees that the bowing is caused by moisture, but they blame us for the “humidity not being constant in the home”, which is a lot of bunk, since we moved in in May and had the AC on in the Florida heat every day for about 6 months. We’re basically out the $8000 we paid ICI, plus what it will cost us to have new flooring installed.

The cement driveway and sidewalks are a mess. We were told by others that the cement was poured on a day that it rained. According to the Portland Cement Association, “rainfall can result in a weakened nondurable surface” and “if the surface is dusty after 14 days of curing there are likely to be a problem.” The surface of our concrete is definitely dusty and very stained. In addition to this, we already have cracks in the cement because the expansion joints were not done correctly. They are not nearly as deep nor as wide as they should be. They are 1/2” deep or less and they should be 25% of the thickness of the concrete, which would mean that they should be at least 1” deep. The width should never be less than 1/4” wide, but most of ours are barely 1/8th” wide. ICI has totally ignored the faulty expansion joints and the fact that the cement was poured when it rained. Their response to our concrete problems was “Some variation in color in concrete is normal and can vary depending on the sand or ash used in the concrete mix and is not warrantable.”

So our recommendation is not to build with ICI Homes, if you buy a resale ICI home hire a really good inspector.
Moris is a BIG ACTIVIST in many things besides real estate.
He is an Iranian Promoter of IRANIANS FOR AMERICAN POLITICS.
I liked PB too..........but my homework was done when I saw the interests of the owners.
Signed,
PRO AMERICAN
We looked at properties in Plantation Bay recently. We instructed the agent that we were from New Orleans, had lost a home in Katrina, had rebuilt and although we escaped the second catastrophe of Chinese Drywall, many of our neighbors did not. She assured us that ICI had never used Chinese Drywall.
We made an offer on a home built in Plantation Bay in 2006.

The inspection turned up Chinese Drywall. We told the agent immediately in the presence of the inspection team that we did not want to buy the house. She told us we had to wait till we got the written report. We did that and then wrote a formal rejection of the home. We learned later that they delayed telling the seller that we wanted out of the contract for reasons we believe that they were trying to protect the builder - their parent company. Finally, we forced the issue by demanding a cancellation of contract form which we sent to the title company in addition to our agent. Now the seller refuses to return our earnest money.
We have had horrible luck buying in Plantation Bay.
If you do choose to look there, get a Buyer's Agent. Don't use the 'on property' agents. In my opinion, they are puppets of the builder.
Our agent is an agent form the sales office on the property - employee of Venture Dev Realty - and was also the listing agent. The seller still refuses to return our earnest money and now we must hire an attorney to try to recover what is left after everyone takes their piece of the pie.
The house has Chinese drywall, but they say that not all Chinese Drywall is bad. They did not test it, just insist that we go through with the sale.
FYI: There is no conclusive test to determine if a particular Chinese Drywall is more or less hazardous than another, AND Knauf - the company that made the bad stuff - was lax in labeling their product and did some cross labeling from various of their plants.
Check site below:
http://www.meyerhomeinspection.com/chinese_drywall
Make sure you ask for the Chinese Drywall addendum which ICI DID NOT include in our contract. Try to check attic for Chinese drywall before you make the offer.
http://www.dabmls.com/day/maildoc/dScgMt7986.html

Attached are the active listings in Plantation Bay and Halifax Plantation. I have not had too much dealings with the new builds. ICI has built some beautiful homes in Ormond and other areas
I wouldn't discount the resales in that area as there are some incredible buys.
If your concern is Chinese drywall...buy something pre-2004 or brand new.

Sandy Harrington
(386) 547-4805
Adams Cameron & Co REALTORS
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 16, 2010