Home Buying in Parkside>Question Details

Mary Morse, Other/Just Looking in Portland, ME

Am interested in downtown Portland properties. What neighborhoods should be avoided or are desirable?

Asked by Mary Morse, Portland, ME Sat Jan 19, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1034466862-261-Vaughan-St-Por…

Answers

7
Leo Tetreault’s answer
Neigborrhoods taste vary by what you feel are undesireable. I would not want to live near Layfayette square off Congress St. State St & High St are busy traffic streets as is Congress st, Cumberland St.

The old Port is the bar scene and a active night lfe and summer cruise ship activity but considered chic and trendy. Munjoy HIll on the east end is home to the working middle class and many returning 50+ folks who grew up there as kids and are returning home. House prices are generally over 200k. including the popular Condo tower offering scenic views of Casco Bay. West End is more cultural and home to the more creative and liberal minded folks. Home prices there run the gamut from the low 150k range to over 1million.
Feel free to give me a call @ 207 632 2110 so we can go over all your needs and wants. And the type of property that will best fit you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 6, 2013
I think most of the downtown Portland area is desirable. The more info you can provide on your needs and wants, the easier it will be for a Realtor to assist you in your search
I've lived in Portland all my life and have been up on the East End for the last 30 years, are you looking for a single family, condo or a multi unit and what is your price range? Get me that information and I will be able to let you know whats out there. Call/Text 207-318-0860.
Hi Mary,

Thanks for reaching out. Its always a good idea to chat with qualified people when talking about this type of purchase.

Judging by you looking at the Vaughan Street property you shouldn't have a problem finding a wonderful new home in the price range.

Here are couple of links for you may want to check out...

Community information:
http://doug.remax-maine.com/schools.asp

Free buyer reports (learn about the current market):
http://www.makemaineyourhome.com/p/free-home-buyer-report.html

I know the Portland area very well and would be happy to show you around at no charge. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Good Luck to you,
Doug
Hi Mary,thanks for the question. My team shows property throughout Portland and other towns. I am not allowed by law to direct you towards or away from any neighborhood, since this is considered "steering" and is not legal. We would be happy to show you any/all properties that suit your needs.
Mary,

That is a difficult question to answer since people move to Maine (and Portland specifically) because it is a safe place to live by most measurable standards. We show property all over the city to a varied array of clients and have sold in virtually every neighborhood. Anywhere "downtown" would, in my opinion, be safe.

Let us know your specific criteria and we can send you active listing sheets to meet your specifications. Hope to hear from you..