Angie, Home Buyer in Johnsonville, SC

Am I required to have a Title Search when purchasing a new construction home in South Carolina?

Asked by Angie, Johnsonville, SC Tue Nov 4, 2008

Purchasing a brand new home in S.C., do I have to pay for a title search?

Answers

5
By all means not only would you want a title search but it is required if you are getting a mortgage. Especialy with new construction as a numner of any subcontractors can lein the property with mechanics leins that you could be responsible for without a title search As well you are going to want to buy owners title insurance to protecte your investment. A title search is going to make sur eteh land was subdivided legally, that no one else ownes part of the property, that there are no attachments and you are getting 100% of the ownership fre and clear of all leins, encumbrances, rights of way and such. Usually it is included in the cost for a title company to close your deal and should be around $500 for the whole process. good Luck with your purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Angie:

I ditto Bill, Patricia and Seth's comments. DO NOT BUY any piece of real estate without a title search by YOUR ATTORNEY!

Good Luck on your Purchase!
If I were your agent, I would not let you buy without having one done. No agent looking out for your welfare would either.

Bill Brannon
I do not think it is required, but HIGHLY recommended.
Angie,

If you are getting a mortgage on the new home, then you will probably be required to get a title search.

And to be honest, even if you are paying cash, you should still get one. Although the house is new, the land is quite old and you never know what has happened with it's ownership in the past.

It's a few hundred dollars to get the title search, which may seem like a lot now, but it's nothing when you compare it to the legal costs of potentially trying to clear that title sometime in the future...

Good luck with your new home!