Home Buying in Scottsdale>Question Details

Rose, Other/Just Looking in Scottsdale, AZ

All else being equal, e.g.., lifestyle preference, price, etc., which would be a better buy - a condo in North Scottsdale or a house in Tramonto?

Asked by Rose, Scottsdale, AZ Mon Jan 3, 2011

Answers

21
Hi Rose,

Funny that you brought this up. That's like comparing apple pie to cherry pie... They are both good, however you have to have an appetite more for one than the other to make your decision.

I would look at location since they are very geographically distinct as well as how much you like to be close to the city vs. having a larger home and yard.

So we are comparing two very different products, the way to simplify this is to look at location, location, location. Lower maintenance on the condo, different school districts, different amenities and health care options.
House! Loans are easier to attain hence more prospective buyers which will help prices of homes increase more/decrease less than condos. .

http://www.azrentalhomes.com
Both areas are great. However, I cannot understand your comment about lifestyle being equal from a house (I assume you mean Single Family) and a Condo. These will be two different lifestyles.

Condos assume someone else takes care of the day to day maintenance while a house assumes occupant maintains it all. Also the privacy issue implies that a SFR will most likely be more private than a condo.

Also condo HOAs are typically more restrictive.

It think you need to decide which lifestyle you prefer, then purchase the best property that fits your needs.
Hi Rose, this is a great question because a lot of people have this dilemma. I always say location drives better prices but because your comparing a condo with a home in a different location; its not completely equal. As other Realtors pointed out financing and HOA issues with Condo's can be problematic and a home in Tramonto may be an issue if your considering commute time. It really comes down to your lifestyle and what you want and how long you plan on staying in the home/condo. There a also some great buys with patio/towhomes in Scottsdale that may be a bit higher price than a condo and you can get financing. I have a patio home listing that you can find on my website under my listings.
LISA KATZ
Realty Executives
602-793-9300
If you require financing the condo will be a greater challenge than the single family home. Owner to tenant ratios, delinquent HOA dues are an issue in some projects. Give me a call I can provide the condominium quidelines.

Jim Nelson
De Anza Capital, Inc.
480-951-6900
Web Reference: http://www.dacaz.com
Rose - Both areas are very nice but take into account, what is your purpose for the property in question and the pros and cons. Would you need to commute daily? Is this property to rent? Once you evaluate these your decision to purchase in either area will stand out more. Find a great realtor that you feel comfortable with and has knowledge in both areas of interest, to provide you quality information. If I can be any assistance feel free to conact me.

Jennifer Parker
HomeSmart
602-619-2287
Rose,

I have sold multiple properties in Tramonto and my buyers Love the area. If you have to transit to work every morning to Scottsdale that may be your decion point. If you want a great home with a great value I would highley reccomend Tramonto.

Feel free to contact me for any questions. Referrals upon request!

Lucinda TKach
one more note, condos are a good buy, lower taxes and hoa dues cover many of your
major expenses, call me I will explain, have been selling homes, condos and townhomes here
for years, also know which ones are better built, lower hoas, and better managed.
Lynn
Rose Realty http://www.roserealty.com

Scottsdale is a better value
I think the better buy is the area where values have best chance of return. Scottsdale is a well known established city yet there are some condos that don't appeal nor fair as well others. Condos are the first sign on a change in market values as well. Condos may have high HOA offsetting their value and should be considered. If you are buying to rent out then stick with north Scottsdale. Consider the furnished rental option for seasonal rents as well if investing. A house in tramonto is a great option too. The newer shopping area and new employer up along the I17 will bring lots of attention as well to lots of easy access to the valley in long term projections and their schools are competing.as well. Most homes in the area were built in the bubble so they've taken a strong drop and acquiring a home there can bring significant return.
You'll get further details upon a personal consultation available from any good Realtor you choose. Overall rate of return in an average market has historically been in north Scottsdale but Tramanto is to young to tell making it a strong consideration. Let me know if we can provide a consultation.
Cheers
Laura Myers
Keller Williams
4806006213
Rose,

All things are not equal when considering the two different locations. Much of the decision will be based on your preferences. This is what makes a person happiest with their decision. Scottsdale is definitely a great area and closer than Tramonto. But this may not be the decision that makes you know you purchased where you want to live. If you buy a condo and you really want a single family with a larger yard, well, then you may end up selling sooner than you think because the condo wasn't what you wanted. The reverse is the same; if you don't want the upkeep of a yard etc then the condo may be more to your liking.

If you want further help in weighing this out or help with looking for the "special" home, then please feel free to contact us! We would love to help you with your decisions and home search!

Brenda

Brenda & Ron Cunningham
West USA Realty
602-980-3133
Recognized as one of the top Realtors in the July 2010 issue of Phoenix Business Journal for 2009.
Rose

I may go against the grain here some and state that I would really consider Tramonto over a condo but would the best answer come by actually comparing the two based on history. Part of my Tramonto is based on the fact that homes have typically done very well in resale. I-17 has been improved dramatically the last couple of years and the commute has improved considerably as a result.

We could run actual comparables and see which one has actually performed the best based on the market.

Doug
HomeSmart

Arizona Homes for Sale by a Guy from Iowa
Web Reference: http://www.McVinua.com
Hello Rose,

Being that a condo in North Scottsdale and a house in Tramonto are very different, I think that you will need to assess the pros and cons of each and choose what works best for you and your lifestyle. In your post, you mentioned all else being equal, so I’m assuming that you are asking which type of property would make the most sense from an investment stand point? A good way to go about making this decision would be to look at both condos in North Scottsdale and homes in Tramonto, and when you find the properties that you like, make sure your Realtor® pulls the comparable sales in order to determine value. If you are looking for statistics and market trends, A Realtor® can pull those in each individual area as well. Good luck with your search and feel free to contact me or visit our website with any questions or if you would like any detailed market info.
Good luck and happy house hunting!

Candice Quinn
Designated Broker
London Pierce Real Estate
(480) 240-0155
http://www.LondonPierce.com
Web Reference: http://www.LondonPierce.com
Rose, Scottsdale does more likely have a better upside in terms of investemnt but it is more of a lifestyle choice. Condo vs House, Yard vs Common Landscape, Private Pool vs. Community Pool, A few restaurants and shops vs Loads of Shopping, Restaurants and entertainment, quiet less traffic vs more traffic and people. A good Realtor will help you make a choice that best fits your lifestyle and will give you the time to experience both. Let me know if I can help, Jason 602-696-1721.
Dear Rose:

If gas goes to $5.00 a gallon you may think twice about Tramonto. I think Scottsdale is a fantastic place to live. If you like fishing and Lake Pleasant go with Tramonto.

Jeff Masich
Arizona Homes and Land
HomeSmart
Scottsdale
Web Reference: http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
All else being equal it boils down to if you like more privacy and want more room or if you prefer the idea of having an association responsible for the upkeep of the building and the common area.

The main point is that all else are not equal and the lifestyles are very different. A Scottsdale condo can provide with a more active lifestyle which includes close proximity to top restaurants, galleries and shopping.

A Tramonto home will be great for a person who prefers to be relaxing at home and have weekend outings with the preference work around the house.

Overall, Scottsdale properties would have a better appreciation from a financial point of view.

Good Luck and Happy new Year

Tooraj Bakhtiari
REMAX Excalibur Realty
8510 E. Shea Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
602-369-8259
Condo in North Scottsdale. Call me now at 480 784 7377 and I will help you get a great deal.
PS SCOTTSDALE ALSO HAS THE NAME REMEMBER WHEN BUYING
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
SCOTTSDALE BETTER FOR RESALE AND VALUE BECAUSE IT HAS AN INTERNATIONAL
REPUTATION

CALL ME LOVE TO HELP YOU FIND A PLACE OR SHOW YOU SOME THINGS
THERE ARE GREAT BUYS OUT HERE NOW!!!
LYNN ROSE REALTY 480-314-1058 cell 480-430-3485
Hi Rose,

Tramonto is a fantastic area. North Scottsdale is incredible. Without a doubt a condo in NORTH SCOTTSDALE would be a better buy. Values tend to be better with the location and the address then in NW PHX. If you have an agent have them get you a BUYERS KIT from the title company(its free). If you do not have an agent call me and I will order you that book. It will have a ton of information such as comps of properties, per capita income, etc. It will help make your decision easier.

Good luck on your search.

JASON GRANDON
SRL REALTY
480-276-2954
http://www.INSTANTRENTERS.COM
Hi Rose,

Good luck on your search.

JASON GRANDON
SRL REALTY
480-276-2954
http://www.INSTANTRENTERS.COM
NORTH SCOTTSDALE< TRAMONTO too far out, call me I have some great listings
LYNN
ROSE REALTY 480-314-1058
I don't know where Tramonto is but I am a big fan of a house. Remember location is always important. Good Luck to you.

Matt Puzz
Licensed Loan Originator
Amerifirst Financial, Inc.
602-410-9333
Web Reference: http://www.mattpuzz.com