Home Buying in San Antonio>Question Details

Ana, Home Buyer in Alamo Heights, TX

Airplane noise over Churchill Estates

Asked by Ana, Alamo Heights, TX Thu Nov 29, 2012

How bad is the airplane noise over Churchill Estates? Not sure if the flight paths have changed over the years. Please advise.

Answers

9
Hi Ana, I have been told that many homes in that area have been modified with sound abatement features in the attic to assist in noise pollution. I cannot verify that unfortunately with anything specific.
The only location within Bexar county that is not in a flight path is Government Canyon in Helotes.
It varies on the section of Churchill Estates you actually live in. I live in the area and I personally know that this highest sound is at the crossing of Blanco and Churchill estates. The planes most often approach from the north west unless the wind comes from that direction, otherwise they take off into the wind. More air traffic comes in during the late afternoon, HOWEVER, the bigger delivery planes can be heard starting about 4 am.

It all comes down to one's own tolerance. I have many friends that live in the neighborhood and they could care less about the planes since the homes are well kept, the access street is very wide and has many walking paths, there is a multitude of mature trees that give amble shade during the hot summer months. Many of the residents are 'health conscience' and you can see them jogging off to Hardberger park which is directly adjacent to the location.

Another plus is that one is directly center between 410 and 1604 and when the Wurzbach parkway finally connects to 281, you can be anywhere in town in a flash. Most instances, one cannot hear the planes from inside the homes, so it is small compensation for all the benefits. Contact me if you have more questions on the area... i know it well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
It was a few years ago planes were going over every 10 minutes during the day and was very loud I pointed that out to my clients. They decided on another location.
No big deal, I used to live there and no problem.
From my experience... it's not too bad... I know I haven't really even noticed unless I was specifically looking for it... It's not really directly below the runway pattern... but then, there is almost nowhere in San Antonio where some kind of plane is not going to pass overhead.. we are surrounded by bases :)
The answer is always subject to what the person asking the questions considers noise.
Runway 12 Right is the main landing runway for San Antonio Airport during most aircraft traffic conditions subject to wind and weather.
Saying that, Churchill Estates is not directly under the glidepath to this runway but it is in a reasonable vacinity of the approach path.
What I would recommend is drive into Churchill Estates and sit there for a while to get a better idea of the noise issue. I was in the Air Force for 36 years, so to me, not an issue, for someone possibly considering a purchase in the area, highly recommend they check the area themselves or if not available have a friend or family member do so.
Sorry Ana, the site is actually
http://www.city-data.com

:)
I have heard the planes going over as I have been showing in that area. Maybe try city-info.com for discussions on that subject. I know others have asked.

Tabitha King 414-4255
Call, email or text me anytime
Web Reference: http://www.kingrealtors.com
It has been abated somewhat....however, it is still possible to hear them during daylight hours.

Let me know how I can be of service----GUARANTEED BUYING SERVICE...ask me how

210-494-8888