Daniel Casti…, Real Estate Pro in Santa Monica, CA

Agents Hosting Open Houses From Different Agencies

Asked by Daniel Castiel, Santa Monica, CA Sun Jul 14, 2013

As an agent I want to ask listing agents if they want me to sit in at their open house, but I would be asking agents from other agencies not related in any way to my agency. Not even the same name, is this done by agents ?

Answers

14
Yes; I've done it.
This gets into the personal aspect of the business; that Listing Agent has got to like and trust you. To the prospects, your words and actions will reflect on them and their Listing.
My suggestion would be to attend the MLS meetings and lunches, get to know the other Realtors.
This is a lot more than a BUSINESS.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 14, 2013
In Greater LA I see this happening a lot, especially with smaller brokerages that take listings far from their home office. They will offer it to local agents with other brokerages to host.
Hi Daniel,

It would be good to check with the Brokers as well as the agents.

Kind regards,

Arpad
Please email me for my Silicon Valley Fixer Upper List
If a broker/agency gets upset that someone other than a member agent is holding an open house, they only have themselves to blame and their agents.

If a new listing is mentioned at the "Team Meeting", advertised on their intranet, and no one takes it; then i applaud the agent (from different agency) who proactively searches MLS for Open House opportunities.

After all, is that the type of agent you want as a buyer's agent anyway?

If your own agents dont take advantage of the opportunity, at least someone is. And even if its not that house that will sell, maybe this opposing agent will show a similar home in the area from your agency.
I agree - it's done all the time.

Most of the time opens are hosted by others in the same office, simply because the listing agent asks "does anyone want to hold my house open this sunday" and someone in the office volunteers.

But you can absolutely call around to current listings and ask the agent if you can hold it open. Often times if a home is vacant, you can hold it open many times in a week and the agent will be fine with it.

You don't even need to stick to the usual times. If it's vacant, you could hold an open house on friday afternoon to catch the people coming home from work...
Of course, all the time. I am always calling and sending e-mails to the agents, if I want to sit an Open House.
Why not?
Your agency or not~ you are a local real estate agent who can provide the visitors with a valuable information about the house and area.

Some agents have too many listing or just don't bother to hold open houses.
I've done it for REO agents and trust sales.
( tip: some agent don't bother to market your open house, but you have all those social networks and even trulia to promote your OH+ signs and fliers:)
Daniel,

Yes, this is done. I have had other agents hold my open houses and I have called other agents to hold their open houses. I usually find other Agents love when I offer to hold open properties during the week not just weekends.

Have a great day!
I get a lot of agents cold calling me to sit on my listings for open houses. I haven't done it yet, but mainly because I do an open house the first weekend of any listing and in this market, it usually doesn't make it past two weekends! You can definitely call and ask, but I would probably only say yes, if I knew the agent or they were referred to me by someone else.

Thanks!
​Sinead McAllister-Clifford
Real Estate Broker/ Realtor®

McAllister Homes Real Estate
Residential Sales & Property Management
http://www.McAllisterHomes.com
License 01366009
858-205-5215 CELL
info@mcallisterhomes.com EMAIL
It is done sometimes. Look for a big listing agent who might need some help covering their open houses.
Of course, you can ask anyone you want to sit their open house. Some big companies have there own rules, if they allow or not agents from different companies to sit their agents open houses, but you can always ask.
Yes. For the most part it will be with independent brokers, franchised office usually don't. An independent will usually tailor marketing to the specific property and expect to use all MLS members as a sales force, while the large offices try to keep as much as possible in house.
Ken Dorfman
Broker
Kenneth B Dorfman Real Estate
Lic # 675912
Ken@TheRealEstateOffice.Biz
888-846-0688
Ken, upgrade your website
Flag Fri Apr 18, 2014
I've noticed that some independent broker/agents will actually invite other agents to host their open houses, either in the MLS Agent Remarks or on signs inside the property. Unlike Coldwell Banker or any of the larger brokerages, these broker/agents have no one to answer to but themselves. I have to assume that they are also not focused on "double popping" their listings or picking up buyers for other listings. One example would be Mike Glickman, who has listings throughout the San Fernando Valley, although I'm not sure about the Westside.
I'm not the least bit interested in "double popping", as you say. But I am interested in picking up new buyer clients, and in my opinion (and that of my managing broker) those clients should be going to an agent, if not in my office, at least with my agency.
Flag Sun Jul 14, 2013
While I imagine it's allowed, I can tell you that my managing broker would not be happy to see one of Coldwell Banker's listings, hosted by an agent from a different agency, regardless of our personal relationship.

I have many colleagues from other agencies who are friends, but I would not have them sit one of my listings. As an open house host, you are representing the property and the agency represented on the sign out front.

You are also there to try to build an agency relationship with those who visit the open house. My broker would be very unhappy to learn that was being handled by the competition.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201