Home Buying in Pittsburgh>Question Details

ALinLove123, Home Buyer in 15218

Agent E-mail Response Time

Asked by ALinLove123, 15218 Sun Mar 3, 2013

We are first time home buyers. We've been researching home buying for the past two years, and have recently decided to buy. An agent was recommended through an acquaintance. After contacting this agent, he didn't ask us any questions and sent us straight to get a pre-approval, which we did the same day. We haven't heard from him since & that was five days ago. I even sent him an e-mail letting him know we were pre-approved, and asking if he needed any other information. We aren't in a rush to buy, but I would expect a short response or a congratulations within at least 48hours. Am I rushing this? There are houses are interested in and would like to start the process.

Answers

16
Time to get a different agent. Check out some of the local pro's in the find the pro tab. An agent should respond within 24 hours. Many will respond right away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 3, 2013
Sorry for the challenge you are having with this particular agent.It is good that you got recommendation from an acquaintance while choosing your agent.Maybe what you would have done was to ask them enough questions to ensure they understand what you expect from them.One typical question would be how frequently they would communicate with you or how long they take to respond to your concerns via E-mail etc.
I am very sorry that he did not call you or email you back in a timely manor. I always do a buyer consultation which gives me and my client a met and greet. Plus, I need to know their wants & needs in a home. Communication is very important when buying a home.
thanks for taking the time to replay. very much appreciated.
Flag Sun Mar 3, 2013
I agree, 5 days is way too long. In this age of email on phones and iPads, I get notified of emails almost immediately. As a courtesy, I give 24 hours before I resend or call. Sounds like this agent is either way too busy or doesn't think your price range is worth it for him. Unfortunately, some agents do feel that way. Where are you? I'm happy to help. Feel free to contact me - taralang.howardhanna.com
Some agents are not as good with e-mail as others. (ie: some of the old school agents). While I agree that this is too long, it's always possible that you sent to the wrong e-mail address... or somehow the e-mail got accidentally deleted, or sent to his spam folder, or otherwise lost in the ozone.

Give him a call, and then lay down your expectations about e-mail responses.

Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
I believe 5 days is unacceptable. Was his email address correct? In my opinion, a 24 hour response time is reasonable if he's unable to respond to you that day....48 hours tops. I specialize in first time home buyers and am happy to educate you on the home buying process and show you properties. Let's get started!
I think that 5 days is too long to wait. While it is possible that there are other things going on in his life, it would be profession to at least answer your email and let you know what is going on. While agents can't always respond immediately a day or two is reasonable to expect a return call. I would suggest finding someone else.
It is much easier to catch up on email, they should have gotten back to you. An agent can't return your call at 10PM but they can return your email and should have.

Many people haven't learned to manage email property. It is simple as creating a folder for each buyer/seller and dragging resolved emails to the envelopes. Then I know that whatever is still in the Inbox needs to be dealt with. I get back to everyone, even those who I am certain won't go anywhere.
Is the agent away? I would think that he would have gotten back to you within 48 hrs. unless he was away.
If you still don't hear back from him......find another agent in the area you want and start your house hunting. Best of luck!!!!!
If you have sent 2 or more emails and still gotten nothing, Move On. That agent is too busy or part time or whatever but you don't want them. Find your own, you could not do worse!!! Check the Find A Pro link above and start there.
Hi Amanda-

Are they done with the pre approval process? do you have your parameters yet provided by the lender to work with? If so let the agent know and im sure they will be ready to help you - However.

If they continue to ignore your actions:

Give me a call 412 576 5561 and we can get started. I sell 40 homes a year and many are to first time buyers. I am happy to help!
He may or may not have received notification from your lender that you were preapproved, but since you contacted him afterward, that's not really an issue. If you haven't signe an agency agreement with him, you are not locked in. You're not even locked in to this pre qualification.
If he wants your business, he will be more responsive. :)
Pick up the phone and CALL!!!!

I get 350 emails A DAY.

Another 500 goes strait to spam. If a sending email address in not in my email address book, where do you think that email goes?

I use SPRINT for my cell phone. Not all emails forwarded from my email accounts arrive on my cell. Some, for unexplained reasons, arrive 18 hours late. Others unfortunately, result in that UNBELIEVABLE response. "I didn't get your email."

Stuff happens. Many agents are way to quick to throw other agents under the bus. The idea, I conclude, is to increase the attrition rate and reducing the competition. It's an ill conceived idea.

Go old school and
PICK UP THE PHONE.

Best of success to you.
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727.420.4041

Scotsdale Home Tour:
http://youtu.be/XMLVEvPosHc
I would say you need to do a little more research on your agents. The best resource for this is a goto Zillow.com in read past client reviews of local agents in the are1 of the things that is driven into us as agent is the have a fast response time. If you cannot get a response no, you would have to wonder what it's gonna be like when you get into the process is started negotiating you might want to follow up with a text or phone call as their have been snafus with emails before it perhaps he did not get it.
Amanda,
E-mail reply time and telephone reply, reply time in general... Some people are quick and well some take a long time if they even reply. I always try to reply quickly and hope others do as well but they do not always. Communications are a crucial part of representation and in any transaction.
Blair
I certainly don't think that it is unreasonable to expect an agent to be in touch with you within 48 hours. I would think 24 hours is a long time to wait, esp. If you have your pre-approval! The agent should have at least started a search for you, while waiting for the pre-approval to come in. What area are you looking in to purchase?