Home Buying in West Chester>Question Details

Wcowner, Home Buyer in West Chester, OH

After closing on my house I was informed that the lender didnt charge us the origination fee we were responsible for... can they ask for that now??

Asked by Wcowner, West Chester, OH Mon Oct 25, 2010

I closed on my house a month ago and just got an email from my lender saying they discovered an error in the HUD.. I recevied some relo benefits from my employer and they had charged the entire origination fee directly to my employer instead of charging me for my portion.
Can they come around after the fact and require I pay that if it was their error.
My husband and I made some financial spending decisions based on what we had ot present at closing and they are now asking for over 1000 be paid.
What are my rights?

Answers

5
Too bad so sad for your lender. They have to live and die by the GFE and settlement costs that they quoted. If they were wrong or in error, it's them holding the bag not you. Don't pay them a dime and don't talk to them on the phone either. Make them communicate 100% in writing by letter or email. They don't have a leg to stand on legally so stand firm mention RESPA. Rest easy and enjoy your new home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 25, 2010
Hi Wc. It sounds to me like you've gotten some amazing advice below, especially from Sunnyview and Fred. They seem to be extremely confident that this is your lenders mistake and the lender has to eat it.

I'd take their advice if I were you.

GOOD LUCK.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
There is one issue you did not mention. Your employer paid more than they agreed to pay for you. Does your employer want you to pay the fees that were wrongly charged to your employer?
Once the deal is over and everybody has signed no fees can be added to the buyer's charges. Lender is up the creek w/out a paddle. They approved the HUD, their loss.
Sorry to hear that they messed up, but that is their problem, not yours.

They can't collect money outside of closing. It is against RESPA, a federal law.
Web Reference: http://fglick.com