Question Details

Elim, Both Buyer and Seller in Beverly Hills, CA

After I sell my home, how much taxes will I pay?

Asked by Elim, Beverly Hills, CA Tue Sep 18, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


In California, Property Taxes are PREPAID and are usually part of your IMPOUNDS so that you will never get behind.
When you SELL, you may get a refund from your Escrow.

If you are talking about Income Taxes on appreciation of your house;
You would pay nothing if you re-invested it in your next house.
But for this, and other considerations, you should consult a CPA or similar Tax person;
Realtor are not supposed to give LEGAL or TAX advice.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
This bit about reinvesting in your next house is false. That's a 1031 exchange, and is only allowed with investment property. For your primary residence, you get a $500,000 allowance against profit if married and filing jointly, $250,000 each if filing separately, or $250,000 if you are single. The rest you pay taxes on: typically, capital gains (federal) and state tax (rules vary by state).
Flag Mon Mar 31, 2014
Thank you!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
There are several taxes to consider in the sale of your home. The first is any Property Tax that may be due. In many states, Property Tax is collected the year after it was due. Because of this, when you sell your home in one of these states, (Colorado for example) you have to pay the property tax that has been accrued up to and including the date of sale. Your closing company will calculate the pro-ration prior to close and inform you of the amount. In California, I believe you pay 1/2 of your taxes in advance, and 1/2 in arrears. So if your closing is in the first half of the year, you will see a credit for this amount, and if it is in the second half, you will owe the pro-rated amount.

I assume, however, that you were referring to Income Tax. Current (2012) Federal tax laws allow for a tax free gain on the Capital Gains of your home sale up to a certain amount. If you are married and have lived in your home for 2 of the last 5 years, you are able to sell your home with NO TAX on the first $500,000 in capital gain. If you are single, the amount is $250,000.

This DOES NOT mean that selling a $750,000 home means you pay tax on 250,000.

Capital gain means the sales price of your home, minus the purchase price, minus any expenses for home improvement over the time you owned it, minus the costs involved in selling the home. So in the case of our $750,000 home, if it was purchased for $250,000, there would still be no federal tax due. In the VAST majority of cases, this means that you will owe no tax on the sale of your home. Although admittedly, Beverly Hills may be different in this regard!

After the deduction, you would pay capital gains tax on the remaining profit at your own tax rate. That calculation is best left to an accountant.

In 2013, there is a new provision that if you incur the tax because your profit is over $500,000 AND your income is more than $200,000, you may be subject to capital gains PLUS an additional tax of 3.8%. It bears repeating that this only applies if your profit from the sale is more than $500,000 which will affect well under 1% of all home sales.

As always, contact an accountant for specific financial advice for your situation!

Best of Luck!

Lael Pierce
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 18, 2012
Thank you!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer