Home Buying in Cranford>Question Details

Trotter456, Home Buyer in Union, NJ

Affordable towns around Cranford. Relocating

Asked by Trotter456, Union, NJ Sun Dec 9, 2012

My family is relocating to nj from Smithtown Long Island. Going to be working in Cranford. Would like to find a nicely updated. $375k-$425k max. I know Cranford has great schools but most of what we are seeing in this price range is outdated and undesireable. What are some nice towns within a 35 minute commute (with traffic) that we should consider? Any information would be appreciated.

Answers

8
If you will be working in Cranford, I would suggest trying to stay in Cranford. It is a town most people choose to live in and then commute 35 minutes b/c it has so much to offer. Schools, town activities, trains will outweigh the sacrifice of a somewhat outdated home. I settled in Westfield years ago before having kids in a 'starter home". I am still here - although we need bigger, we are willing to sacrifice the space b/c it is an amazing town to raise your family in, just like Cranford. Cranford can be slightly more affordable but there are deals to be found in both if you can act quickly!

A bit of a different prospective - good luck and happy to help in anyway. My office is in Westfield but I can help up to 45 minutes in all directions.
Best to you,

Lorena Barbosa
Broker/Owner
David Realty Group
lorena@davidrealtygroup.com
201-638-6528
Clark is a great town and you can get a lot of house for that kind of money.
other more affordable towns are Garwood, Scotch Plains Fanwood, Kenilworth,
There are many nice houses in Crandford in your price range. However, be careful choosing one, since many are in the flood zone that would require additional flood insurance.
I would highly recommend New Providence, it has one of the best schools NJ!

Best of luck,

Armin Lusinyants
E-mail: alusinyants@weichert.com
http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Other towns near Cranford unclude Garwood and Kenilworth. There more nice communities near
Cranford, however, real estate prices and taxes maybe a little higher than Cranford.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Rockland County, NY is about 40 minutes away at most with some great school systems. Get in touch if you are interested in commuting. Best of Luck, Allan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Start with Cranford. It is a nice affordable community. From there I would consider the surrounding Union County communities. Chatham and Madison are awesome but your choices will be limited in th is price band. You'd have better luck in Union County's Scotch Plains, Fanwood, even Berkeley Heights and New Providence.

If you want something new(er) you may find some options if you travel west to Somerset County's Bridgewater and Branchburg.

Happy to assist in any way. For a summary of the distribution of recent Bridgewater home sales, check out my blog post, just published today:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/jeanne_feenick_-_new_jersey/2012/…

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.Homes08807.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
There are homes in Cranford in the price range you've seen. But there are alternatives as well: Garwood, Scotch Plains Fanwood, Clark, Kenilworth, Springfield, Summit and even Westfield. In Middlesex County there are Edison, Denellen, Piscataway. Morris County has Chatham and Madison that offer some homes in the price range you desire. Essex County has Maplewood and Millburn (more limited in Millburn), but Essex County taxes are high, but there are homes in your range in these towns.
Tim O'Leary
cell: 908-347-5532
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
More info. Looking for a min 3 bd 2 bath. Suburban home. Similar demographics to Smithtown ny 11787
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012