Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Feyiaina1, Home Buyer in Wilmington, NC

Adding my wife to purchase agreement contract

Asked by Feyiaina1, Wilmington, NC Thu Dec 13, 2012

We would really appreciate your advice.

I signed contract to purchase home with my name only but we have a loan that has both my wife's name and I on it.

Taking my wife name off loan is not an option.

What steps can I take to add her name to the home contract?

Answers

8
Easy, have your REALTOR add her through an amendment and have all parties sign and then execute. Super Easy! Happens all the time.
http://www.HomesInRockport.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 13, 2012
Real estate is about contracts and you have contracted with the seller. To add your wife's name you would need to have the seller's approval first. It is delicate because if the seller doesn't approve and has another better back up offer you could loose out. This contract is a mutual agreement between seller and buyer.
So, have your agent negotiate this with the seller first and then instruct escrow or closing agent accordingly.

Instruct your agent to instruct escrow to add your wife to title. Use amendment form.
You can have escrow write up and escrow amendment that states your wife is officially a buyer. Then all parties must sign it. Your wife must then sign all the purchase contracts and addendums that you did.
Just inform your realtor he/she should know what to do.

Usually you will need addendum to purchase contract and escrow instructions with your wife added to the purchase contract and title.

____________________
Help with Any Real Estate Transaction - Buy or Sell 

Call me 424-777-9377 -  FREE CONSULTATION! 

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855)  ext. 777.

Sergey Fednov
President - Realtor®
- Trust Sale Realty -
Residential & Commercial Real Estate
_______________________________
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855
Phone: 424-777-9377
Fax: 310-356-4925
http://www.TrustSale.com 
http://www.TrustSaleRealty.com
- We Hire CA Licensed Real Estate Agents -
Lic# 01896869

You need to tell escrow as well as you realtor to add her name on the purchase with an amendment. Happens all the time.
Yes, just an Ammedment, but you also need to contact the Title Company and change how you are taking Title.
And you do not need the Seller's approval; just send them a copy through the Agents.
I agree with Alissa. Your realtor can advise if there are any NC specific rules. I hope you are using an agent acting on your behalf as there are many important decisions that you will need a trusted advisor for.