miah33333, Home Buyer in Maple Grove, MN

Adding a Co-Signer to a loan.

Asked by miah33333, Maple Grove, MN Sat Aug 4, 2012

I recently took a new job and will be making about 40k/year (credit score of 795). We decided to go home shopping and I was approved for a 90K FHA loan through Discover. The mortgage broker said that adding my wife to the loan weakened it's value (credit score of around 630 and an income of around 16k). My father-in-law offered to co-sign in order to help us get a larger loan. Would adding someone who makes 100,000 with great credit raise my loan amount by 50k? Thanks!

Miah, Check out Naval Federal Credit Union. They offer a 100% NO PMI financing.
Hope this is helpful.
Thank you

That will depend on your co-signer's debt-to-income ratio. If your co-signor is carrying a mortgage along with any other debts (credit cards, equity lines of credit, business loans etc.), co-signing to your loan will be added as well. I'm not a loan officer but you should discuss this with one and check it out.

Having a co-signor is not a bad idea. Just depends on the co-signor. Less debt plus income earned equals possible loan opportunity.

Best of luck,
Okie dokie, you were either prequalified using the former pay scale or have over $800 a month in other payments, or the real estate taxes in your area are so high you should move here, one of the three or some combination.

If you like your wife, do not let her dad co-sign, tell them your uncle Jim said not to do that. I turn down a parent fairly often because they have co-signed for a kid, not good. Yeah, he offered, she wants the house, etc. I bet he hasn’t done it before.

If pops is so rich it doesn’t matter let him buy the house and finance it for you.

Back to you, have the loan officer use your new pay scale and see what that does. If you have over $800 a month in payments already you shouldn’t be buying a home. Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time