Home Buying in Sun City>Question Details

l, Home Buyer in Idaho

A townhome is a single home but with others in a row right? Whras a condo' is attached to others?

Asked by l, Idaho Fri Jun 15, 2012

Renters are sure frowned on aren't they? Why not if approved by HOA ? Seems a waste for them to be empty most the year.

Answers

3
A townhome is a style of home - generally more than 4 "stuck together" in a row (but not always). Condo is a form of ownership, and while they are most commonly garden style, midrise or hirise "apartment" style homes, they can even be single family homes or taken on a townhome style. In fact, in my area a "2 over 2 town" is a common condo style right now... it's a 2 floor townhome, with another 2 floor townhome on top of it, with several of those stuck together side by side.... and they are owned via a condo style ownership.

The difference? "Fee Simple" ownership is how most people own land, single family and the majority of townhomes. They own it all..inside, outside, the earth it's attached to, what's beneath the earth, the space above it... it's all theirs. If it were condo style ownership they would own only the inside of the home.... not the roof of the building, not the ground below it, nada outside the home.

I am not sure I understand the other questions but I will give it a shot. Renters are frowned upon because they don't care for the property like owners. FHA and VA also have restrictions of the number of investor owned units that can be in a building/project. So, too many renters=inability for many buyers to purchase=reduced value of the home.

the renters Q. was in the thread. Thank u! It's nice to know if I'd have to roof it.
Flag Sat Jun 16, 2012
It always amazes me that so many agents out there don't have a clue that "condominium" is a form of ownership and NOT a style, as a townhome is. (Yea Vicky for getting it right!!)

I happen to live in a townhome.... which is a condominium!
Townhomes can also have "cooperative" forms of ownership ( ie: co-ops), but it will get too confusing to define what that means!

Many think a condo is an apartment type unit......it may be.......or..........it may also be a mult-level building with common walls, linked to other units......or the walls might not even be connected

In regard to tenants being frowned upon....well, if one is an owner, they have a more vested interest in the complex or building...............tenants can be transient, and the concern is that they won't be as dilligent in regard to follwing the bylaws or in the upkeep of the unit.......

HOA rules and regulations may limit the number of units that can be rented out......... mortgage companies will also look to see the percentages of owner occupied vs rented units................

A luxury midrise building by me has just stopped allowing owners to rent out their units.........it was creating issues for those who were trying to get a mortgage. The ratio of owner occupied to tenant was too high.
Hello
Usually a townhouse has two floors with no one above or below. A condo is usually one floor in a multi level unit. Renters depend on the Home Owners Association by laws. The percentage of owner occupied is often a consideration due to the stability of the complex. Complexes with higher owner occupied are often considered more stable.
Good Luck
Barbara Carter