Home Buying in 94109>Question Details

Confused, Home Buyer in 94109

A month after I bought a condo, the cieling started leaking. the disclosures said it was fixed and seller didnt show us all HOA docs. Can we get out?

Asked by Confused, 94109 Fri Feb 25, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


As those before me have mentioned, it's imperative that you contact a real estate lawyer as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the less likely it will be that you'll be able to void your purchase. It is possible to redact the purchase of a home, and it can cost less than you would think, both in legal bills and emotional hassel.

But, make sure that is what you want to do. And above all else, you must act yesterday. If your condo just began leaking, contact a plumber to mitigate any further damage (which you may have a legal duty to do) but, do not wait to contact an attorney. Doing so, may indicate acceptance of the condo, even though there is an apparent defect and judging from the tone of your post, that's the last thing you want to do.

The above does not constitute legal advice, I am not an attorney, and it represents my opinion only. ;-)

Best and good luck. Let us know how it turns out. You can find some excellent attorneys by going to the website Martindale Hubble at Martindale.com.

Eric Abrams
CA Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 1, 2011

What has your agent said regarding this situation? As Realtors, we do not provide legal advice. You will need assistance from an attorney. If the seller did not disclose material facts regarding the property, you may have cause to seek damages.

Oggi Kashi
Paragon Real Estate Group DRE 018446276
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
You would need to speak to a lawyer. You have a set time period to review HOA docs and respond to them. If you were not given all the HOA documents required under the contract and law you probably would have some legal recourse and an attorney can help you with that process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
You can't return a home as if you purchased an item from a store.

Title company was supply you with all the documents and HOA HOWEVER based on executed sales agreement.

"Properties do break and require repairs yearly " not as if you were a resident in an apt. Call have area repaired.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate, have all related documentation reviewed and see what options you may have, then go from there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
Dear Confused,
It is my understanding that the roof is the responsibility of the HOA to maintain. If it is the roof, this should be addressed at one of the homeowner meetings and repaired. If the leak is actually in the plumbing, in the walls..that is also an HOA situation. Unfortunately, if you cannot get any real help your only recourse is to seek legal advice.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer