Xochitl Cade…, Home Buyer in El Paso County, TX

A house is listed for sale, yet it has been "sold" since Dec. Where do I get factual information wihtout going to the Realtor?

Asked by Xochitl Cadena, El Paso County, TX Wed Mar 9, 2011

I have been after a house for a few months and since I live close by I can see that the house is still for sale. Yet when I inquire about it the house is been under contract, or sold, etc. I looked in the Registry of Deeds and the house has not been sold and now the price increased. I want to bid on it! How do I go about to get factual information without going through the Realtor as it appears he has a vested interest? Can I be a second bidder so that if the deal falls through I can get it? Is there a way to contact the Bank/seller directly? Any info is much appreciated!

Answers

12
Joe DiMeo’s answer
It appears that real estate agents are still stigmatized with a reputation that stems from years ago and some skeptical consumers are hesitant to engage a reputable agent to represent their best interest. Pursuing your real estate goals on your own is surely possible, but how successful you will be is directly tied to your level of experience and how resourceful you can be.

Everyone has a fascination with real estate and consumers feel empowered when they feel they can "do it on their own". Real estate is complicated and working with someone who understands your goals and who can act as a compass for you is essential in achieving your desired level of success. This is particularly helpful your first time around. Not wanting to use a real estate professional because you want to do it on your own is akin to not using a dentist because you can pull out your own tooth ... OK, extreme, but it makes my point ;)

If you want to look at properties online, feel free to visit my real estate blog/website "Real Estate from the Inside" link below and click on my MLS Search link on left side of page. Good luck! If you put your mind to it, anything is possible!

Joe DiMeo
Genesis Realty Group
Medford, Massachusetts
781.391.4100
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 9, 2011
You do really need to get a Buyers Agent to get all factual information(good or bad). Yes you can have a back-up offer as well!
I guess I do not understand why you not use a professional Realtor to help you. I have to agree with many of the statements below you have handicapped yourself and could risk making mistakes since you do not want to work with a buyer's agent advocating for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
If there is a listing agreement, a broker will be involved. It looks like you have already handicapped yourself by avoiding contact with the broker. You can make a call and not disclose who you are. *67 blocks your #. Tell them you're looking for a friend. Once you have correct information, you can more correctly decide your next action. You might be surprised at the helpfulness of the broker.
Web Reference: http://www.capegroup.com
I agree with Joe. My advise to you would be to get yourself a buyers agent who is working on your behalf and let him/her do their job. One last comment, we as Realtors or Real Estate Agents are working to help people buy and sell homes and that is how we earn our salary. Would you want to be undercut or not paid for your services? As with any profession, you have different caliber of people working in their field. Good luck and why dont you speak with a few and see who you connect with:)
Dear Xochitl,

Well the Registry of Deeds would certainly be the place where you would find it's current status. For Realtors, the MLS is the quickest way we could find out about a property that's currently been marketed. If you would like to learn more please feel free to email me at BarnardRE@Gmail.com.

Chris Barnard
BARNARD Real Estate
Hi Xochitl,

I am a Medford, MA agent. If you are not working exclusively with another agent, call me on my cell; 617-755-8897 and I will get you the precise status of this property for you immediately.

Best, Andrew
email: andrew.sarno@era.com Web: http://www.andrewsarno.com
A good Buyer's agent will go a long way here - someone who can do all the due diligence for you and find out the facts. You don't have to go to the listing Agent/Broker to get information, but you do need someone with access to MLS and who knows the proper way to get all available information for you.
There are many wonderful homes in Medford... which one are you after?

masha@preservationproperties.com
What is the address?

Amy
amymullen@remax.net
For factual information consider working with an agent of your own...
Xochitl,
You need to get your own Realtor. The listing agent represents the seller, you can get your own agent to represent you and get you the most reliable information. If an offer is pending, it may be too late, however you can discuss with your agent the benefit of putting in a back up offer incase the first one runs into trouble.
Get your own local agent right away. If you need a referral, check with some the local agents who may answer this question or email me and I can give you some names.
I doubt that you are bidding on it. You may be making an offer, but unless there is an auctioneer there is no bidding. You want to avoid the listing agent, that's fine and you are better off with your own agent who works for you anyway. Find an agent and let them get the information you need. The listing agent has an interest in the house, but unless he owns it I doubt he has a vested interest and he works for the seller to get it sold. His main interest is to get it sold.