mindyge, Home Buyer in Gaithersburg, MD

A SFH in Gaithersburg, MD in a residential commercial mixed area, what is the pros and cons to buy a SFH in a mixed development area? thanks

Asked by mindyge, Gaithersburg, MD Tue Nov 27, 2012

Answers

6
The best way to find out about the residential/mixed commercial area is to have a realtor do some legwork- looking up comps, looking at the history of the area, talking with neighbors that have SFH's already I f you do not have an agent I can give you the name of one that is very competent in Montgomery County- call or text me at 301-785-1995
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 27, 2012
If you are referring to communities like King Farm, Fallsgrove and the Kentlands, these communities have always been the preferred neighborhoods. The owners like to be able to walk to shopping and restaurants, as well as, knowing their kids can safely walk there as well and still be within the community.

The main streets of the commercial area will have the higher traffic than the actual neighborhood streets. The additonal amenities that the commerical aspect brings to the community adds a small premium to the price of the residential homes. Unfortunately, in these communities the homes are packed so tightly on small lots, some buyers do not like to be so close to other homes. Other buyers like the "green" angle that they do not have to get in their cars to go to the store or restaurant, they can walk or ride a bike.

Overall, these communites are desireable to a large group of buyers and like the rest of the country, were hit by the recession as well.

Please feel free to call, text or email me if you have any further questions.

Shelley Green
The Banner Team
Long & Foster Realtors
Shelley.Green@longandfoster.com
240-401-5875
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
A single home that is located in a mixed use community is not going to give you the neighborhood feel. And it could adversely affect property value. Is this a subdivision or a single lot home by itself?
From an investment standpoint purchasing in a mixed use development area can be extremely lucrative depending on the market trends in the specific area. When I consult with my clients I always speak with them from a standpoint of growing a property portfolio and earning the highest return on investment. Buying in a mixed use area, of course considering all factors which a seasoned agent can discuss with you, can have a high return on investment because you broaden your buyer base not only to homeowners but also investors, commercial developers etc. Get your Realtor to do their research so that you can make a well educated decision.

All the best!
Natalie
Hi Mindyge,

Over all, generally buying in a mixed residentail/ commerial area does not fair well in the long term, primarily do to traffic patterns created by the commerial area. There are several area's in Gaitherburg your question could apply to so could you be more specific as to the subdivision your considering so I could better answer your question.

Greg Myers
RE/MAX Realty Group
Gaithersburg
301-906-0504
It depends on many factors. What type of businesses are in the area? What other features or ammenities are in the area? Feel free to contact me at 240-603-9700.