Home Buying in 94547>Question Details

Ydinh02, Home Buyer in 94547

Is it better for investment properties to be held under a foreigner's name or an US citizen's name for US tax purposes?

Asked by Ydinh02, 94547 Fri Jul 1, 2011

Hi. My sister (who lives in Vietnam) wants to invest in real estate properties in the US. I heard that foreign investor would have to pay higher taxes (on rental income or when the properties are sold) than an US citizen/resident alien does so is it better for her to hold titles of these properties OR for me (I'm an US citizen) to hold the titles?

If my sister transfer $$$ into my bank account here in the US to buy properties for her, there's no tax that neither my sister or I have to pay on the transferring money right? Also, is there any document/paperwork that needs to be filled out?

Please advise. Thank you!

Help the community by answering this question:

Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer