Going Green in Armonk>Question Details

Lesa1203, Other/Just Looking in Armonk, NY

oil vs propane

Asked by Lesa1203, Armonk, NY Sat Dec 3, 2011

which is greener? which is cheaper?

Answers

8
I have propane hooked up to my house, and I have no complaints. It is cheap where I live, and my propane service never lets me run out. I don't really have experience with oil or natural gas.

http://www.lpserviceinc.com/aboutus.html
I appreciate your feedback, Eugene. I am considering buying a home that has a propane system. I have never used this as an energy source, so I was a little apprehensive. After doing some research, I don't think it is going to be an issue.

http://www.fieldingsoil.com
Flag Thu Sep 11, 2014
Hi: I prefer natural gas to either oil or propane. Natural Gas comes from Con Edison in our area is is very green. Oil I find to be smelly, dirty & prone to leaking, especially with underground oil tanks. Oil is also pretty expensive. Propane is not very cheap either & you need a tank which can run out quickly. Call me if you want to talk more about this topic. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. T-914-273-9688. http://www.GrandLuxRealty.com.

We're looking for more agents & offer commission splits up to 80% with no fees.

if you know anybody who might be interested, I'll pay you up to $2,000 each for your agent recruits.
Great question about Going Green. I appreciate it.

Whether or not Oil is better than Gas

Gas is a cheaper "greener" option right now, but prices depend on market fluctuation, so this may not always be the case. Green is a lifestyle, so it does not really matter what type of heat you use, it matters how you use it. It takes good planning to go green. Thinking about it is a start.

Oil furnaces last a long time and prices depend on market fluctuation. Heating a home with oil utilizes traditional heating methods not intended to be eco-friendly.

Gas leaves a lower carbon footprint than traditional heating methods. Gas prices depend on market fluctuation. Designing an energy efficient heating and cooling system is easier with gas.
gas is ALWAYS cleaner than oil. but most buyer's dont want anything but natural gas these days (except in remote areas where it isnt available).
Gas is cleaner and oil furnaces need more annual maintenance and cleaning which adds to the expense. Market prices change constantly for both, but I have found propane to often be more expensive as a fuel where I am. While natural gas is usually cheaper Propane which must be delivered is more expensive. Check out the fuel costs with a local supplier and annual maintenance contracts. A maintenance contract is a must with oil.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Economically, the boiler for oil last a long time - if you care for them - and therefore oil can end up being cheaper. Whenever you can get something to last for along time you will be lowering your carbon footprint as the transportation and material cost of making new has a high carbon footprint. However, supplementing either with a more renewable form makes the house greener. Using simple passive water heating technologies can heat spaces like garages or work room in the northeastern United States and you don't have to connect them to "the grid".

The problem is both oil and natural gas are fossil fuels and both will produce greenhouse gases. I posted a link from the Energy Bible that discusses this matter in depth.

Good for you for thinking about the issue at all!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Would also depend on which you already have and conversion costs, Gas is cleaner
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 3, 2011
Hello Lesa,
Usually gas is less expensive than using oil and I believe a slightly "greener" way to heat the home but.... I would not consider it as being a more environmentally friendly means to do so such as utilizing solar power.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 3, 2011