Going Green in Jacksonville>Question Details

Richard, Home Buyer in Saint Augustine, FL

looking for more affordable energy conscious builders foam spray insulat option, geothermal HVAC. Many claim energy star but without these options

Asked by Richard, Saint Augustine, FL Sun Mar 6, 2011

Seems with the tax credit of 30%, more local HVAC people installing, good well companies offering,, more of the larger builders should offer solar HW heater, Geothermal HVAC everything is in place for them to offer and help new homowners really cut monthly energy cost.....It's one thing to buy a house, then affording the future cost. I'm working on a 4000 sq ft. home.Also, make sure any company saying true Energy Star Efficiency they show proof and verify with energystar.gov building section and be sure to ask your builder. Don't settle for the minimum....If you can afford a little up front more to pay for spray foam, solar HW, geothermal HVAC you mortgage increase on a 30 year mortgage will be offest easily by the monthly savings depending on what you add. Any competive builders that offer predesigned plan options you can offer lower sq ft. options in my size range that can offer these add additions. I prefer to have the builder do, not have me doing it myself. Any help there?

Answers

3
Capstone Homes’ answer
I agree with Scott- Geothermal isn't always the best answer because it has a high cost. Capstone Homes is a medium sized builder at the Delaware Beaches, and we use Energy Star windows, tankless w/h, blown fiberglass insulation- these things get our homes with a consistent HERS score in the 60's (a HERS score of 85 is Energy Star).
Geothermal is absolutely the way to go in terms of efficiency- but the cost is high. In Delaware, it is hard to make solar or wind work, but that can vary greatly state-to-state because of the rebates and incentives offered by the state government.
Our link can teach you about some of the things we put into our homes.

Scott Dailey
Capstone Homes
Thank you for your question about affordable energy conscious building products. Green Home Natural Products is a supplier of the products you seek. I have posted the link below for your convenience.

David Chiles
Meridian Capital
800 729-5111 Ext 420
SouthernCalRE.com
Thanks for your post! I am a small builder in the Kansas City, Mo area & have been building energy star homes for 3 years. The items I look at when choosing materials to spec out for a home consist of quality of the material, energy savings vs cost ( ROI ) & marketablity of the products. We use tankless hot water heaters, 95% heating systems, 15 seer ac units, and most importantly a hybrid system of insulation meaning both spray foam, chalk & a blanket fiberglass system. Our typical home has appox 1200-1400 sq ft on the main floor and a finished basement. It sells for about 200000, a great value.
In reguard to geothermal HVAC I am not a huge fan in the smaller homes, when the geothermal guy I work with comes to the build job meeting allmost all he talks about is how to insulate the home not about saving $$$ vs the 95% system he compares his system to an 80% efficency hvac system. The ROI is terrible on goethermal when compared to a 95% , 15 seer or greater unit on a well insulated tight home. Our homes avg 34% more efficient then the 2006 IRC code. Using better equipment. My cost geothermal 18,0000 vs 95% gas 6000. The geothermal does not have good ROI even with the tax credit.
Foam insulation is some of the best $$$ you can spend on new construction with a typical ROI of 4-6 years. Our hybrid system is about 10-12 months. Our cost for standard insulation about 1800, upgrade to the hybrid system 2800, upgrade to foam 5800. ( our hybrid system cost will increase +1200 in july 2011 new e star code )
Solar and wind power not even a consideration on an single home, the future may be communities with a shared grid with large systems were all homeowners benefit.