Going Green in Cibolo>Question Details

tjbpalmer, Home Buyer in Cibolo, TX

Utility Consumption

Asked by tjbpalmer, Cibolo, TX Wed May 2, 2012

What's the best source about utility consumption in Cibolo area? Is there any site where I can compare older homes against newer, energy efficiency homes? Personally, I can't come up with any reasons where I would buy an older home when the lower prices of new, efficient homes outweigh the long run demand. Even if I upgrade a resale house, newer homes (already energy efficiency equipped) are the better bargain as well as no renovations to deal with...am I not thinking of all sides of the issue? All negative/postive answers wanted & needed. Thanks in advance.

Answers

3
When we think about energy efficiency and environmental impact, there is an impact of the actual building process. A new highly energy efficient home would have to around for 90+ years to "payback" the energy costs associated with building. I agree with you that the economic advantages for the current homeowner definitely favor new construction. The link below provides a succinct understanding of the process.

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/4182006_This_Old_House.asp
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Thanks Pamela for your answer and the link...the link led to me to other sites and there were significant impacts to consider.
Flag Fri May 4, 2012
Your right in the fact that a newer home will consume less energy that most older homes. New homes also take about 15 years to payback their impact on the environment in energy savings. It's always Greener to use what is already there and that's the existing older home. I don't know about where you are but here the newer ones are built farther out in areas that require driving and don't have as good of access to public transportation or biking/walking opportunities If your spending an extra $100 on gas each month but saving $100 on utilities it's a wash. One other option is to buy an older home and utilize the FHA Energy Efficient Mortgage. This allows you to finance 5% over the purchase price for energy upgrades. This requires no additional qualifying and can go over appraised value. You get to save energy from day one and also the house is more attractive to buyers when you go to sell..
footnote...I'm looking at 3br, 2.5bath, +2000sf homes for 2 adults/2kids. On the high end of my home search I'm finding +5yrs houses w/no energy saving features asking $210-250K. On the low end, 2011-2012 new construction from $190-210K with many energy efficiency features. Why pay to install in old homes when I get more & for less, in newer homes?