Question Details

Shawn Rosa, Real Estate Pro in Basking Ridge, NJ

TANKLESS HOTWATER HEATERS - PRO OR CON?

Asked by Shawn Rosa, Basking Ridge, NJ Tue Dec 13, 2011

Do you have a tankless hotwater heater in your home? What has your experience been like? Can they provide the needed amount of heated water on demand?

Answers

5
While I don't have one personally, I find that they have been a bonus when selling a home. Buyers really seem to want and appreciate them.
Shawn,
In new construction they can make a lot of sense. For replacement the cost can get up there. They use a lot of BTU's so in many homes the gas line needs to be increased back to the meter. Another con my HVAC guy talks about is using them where there is hard water. Mineral build up on the heating fins can create a maintenance challenge.
On the positive side, over time they are easier on the gas bill and can handle large demands if sized properly. Just be sure you don't try to do too many things at once. They can be taxed out if every tap is being used at once.
There are different size tankless water heaters so it is important to get the right size. They are very efficient in using up all the heat possible, which will cause a problem if your exhaust pipe is not stainless steel or PVC as the condensation will rust a common metal exhaust duct. They are still relatively new to the market so some people claim they will not last much beyond their 10 year warranty because of the abuse the heating coils take from the surge of heat. If a common water heater is insulated well it doesn't take much energy to maintain the water temperature and if you want instance hot water install a recirculation system with a timer on the pump.
We've had a tankless system for six years and have been pleased with it. We have a 3,200 sf, three bath home and regardless of the demand, there seems to always be enough hot water. We had to replace one heating element but beyond that.....couldn't be happier....

I have one and I love it. I can fill a large bathtub and don't run out of hot water. It needs to be sized properly though and one disadvantage is that it can take 20 seconds or so for the water to heat up so it can be annoying for washing your hands.