Going Green in Miami>Question Details

Maria Natalia…, Real Estate Pro in Miami Beach, FL

Recycled buildings would make it easier on the environment vs building green & leed certified? I would say it is 10 times better, any opinions?

Asked by Maria Natalia Ortiz Ladenheim, Miami Beach, FL Thu Jul 18, 2013

Answers

4
Your question made me curious, so I went looking for some information.

Some answers may be found in this interesting article by Tina Gleisner http://goarticles.com/article/Building-Materials-New-Versus-…

Marc Jablon
Johnson and Johnson Team Realty
561-213-6139
JablonTeam@gmail.com
http://www.JablonTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 19, 2013
Renovating isn't always the easiest solution. If often involves a lot more work, specially since you need to bring things up to today's code, and in many cases it would actually be most cost efficient to tear down and rebuild.

I have my own reservation against LEED (and I'm a LEED AP), it seems more of a marketing scheme than an movement towards green design. It would be a lot more effective to change our building code to incorporate more "green" building requirements.

Your questions taps into some fundamental questions about architecture. Buildings should be designed to stand the test of time, so they should be designed in a manner that they can easily be modified to future uses.

All in all I would argue its on a case by case basis.
So, you're in favor of putting a million construction workers out of jobs?
That would include the Lumberjacks, the Mills, the Truckers, the Retailers as well as the Contractors and laborers.
Absolutely everything that happens, has a positive and a negative effect on the economy and the environment.
About the only exception to this, for the last 5,000 years, is our garbage.
Think about it.
If you're a true environmentalist, probably the best thing is to buy an old home, and then make improvements to make it more energy efficient. By the time you tear down, transport to storage, transport back to the site, refinish and reinstall recycled materials you've probably elminated most of the environmental gains from recycling. On the other hand, I love salvaged materials for their decorative value.

Or you can buy a condo of your choice. Because of their population density, condo buildings are almost always more efficient than single family homes.