Going Green in Brooklyn>Question Details

Yakov Kanovs…, Both Buyer and Seller in Brighton Beach, Broo...

In this market do you think green development will sell?

Asked by Yakov Kanovski, Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, NY Mon Jun 22, 2009

Answers

2
Hello Yakov!

Unfortunately, even here in California (a highly environmentally conscious state), I would have to agree with Joe that the current housing buyer will not necessarily choose a "green home" over that of a comparably priced or lower priced non-green home. In most cases, the buyer is driven first by price, then by school district, then by configuration of the home, and finally by the "amenities" added to the home. In many cases, if the buyer is able to satisfy the first three items--price, school and cofiguration of home--they will not even worry about the amenities because the buyer may choose to install any additional items (solar panels, tankless water heater, recycled materials) by themselves at a later date.

So, while a green home is great, at this particular point in time, this selling feature alone will not entice buyers.

Thanks!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Not so well right now. In order to sell green in this market you need a educated buyer. Most buyers won't pay more just for green. It is one of my jobs to educate a buyer as to how much they will save in the long run. When they realize they could save as much as a third on monthly utilities in an energy efficient home, they're more likely to take a closer look. I predict green development will enjoy a bright future as the economy improves.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com