Question Details

Pat Starnes, Real Estate Pro in Flowood, MS

I love being green, but Rankin County does not have curbside recycling. Who can tell me how to convince a?

Asked by Pat Starnes, Flowood, MS Wed Jul 16, 2008

government agency to provide such a service? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Great question, Pat. Trying to convince your local government entity that recycling ought to be a service provided to its constituents may be one of the most basic challenges in working with a city to implement green practices. It's a great concept, but they typically balk at the cost.

Here's my advice: find out who your city council representative is. Make that person your friend. Attend city council meetings. Propose to start a "sustainable living" task force that's a public/private partnership. (I'd be happy to provide some basic guidance and point you in a direction for references.)

Here in Indianapolis, I've been working as a Commissioner on the Indy Green Print Commission. Our task is to offer guidance to the administration for implementing sustainable practices in local government. The Commission is comprised of Architects, Engineers, Builders, Utility Company execs, major industry execs (usually those involved in plant management), Community Development experts, etc. We're also heavily supported by city staff, primarily individuals from zoning, metro development, the parks department, the utility side, etc.

Keep up the pressure. It's a worthwhile charge.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 21, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer