Going Green in 78746>Question Details

Kim, Other/Just Looking in 78746

Home Owner Association rules about solar panels.

Asked by Kim, 78746 Thu Nov 12, 2009

Are there HOAs in Austin that have written rules about allowing solar panel installations (or not)?

Any information on whether solar panels reduce neighbors' home values?

Answers

13
There is a home in 78746 with solar panels that's for sale right now. This home is on Westwood, and it was built this year and has 4 beds, 4 baths, 2 car garage and is listed for $995k. Give me a call if your interested in seeing this home or any others.
Sincerely
Betina
You could probably use our help we help you prepare your house for sale in Austin and the surrounding areas check us out at http://savingamericaenergy.com or http://lonestarpainters.com. We can make your house more saleable!
Dear Kim,
Before I bought a home, I would ask for a copy of the HOA Covenants and Restrictions to see just how restrictive they are. Some HOA's provide a real service for the money they collect each year. For example if you have a private community pool part of your HOA fees go towards maintenance and upkeep of the pool and possibly paying for a lifeguard. I have seen HOA's that maintain the common landscaping and parks in neighborhoods. The HOA in The Austonian condo pays for your water and trash service as well as 24 hour conceierge and a slew of other luxury features. Simply do your research before you close on the new home. Please let me know if I can be of further service to you.
Betina
Web Reference: http://www.CentralTexasGreenHomes.com & http://www.AustinHomeGirlsRealty.com
And since it seems good for all, here is another link to building solar panels for your home, from your home!
HOA's can say you can't hang a flower by your door. No one should ever buy a house that has a HOA putting its nose into your business.
Dear Kim,
I am not sure if Mohit Jain is familiar with an American Home Owners Association as they are outside the USA. HOA's can control all sorts of things. I have seen some so restrictive they give exact times to have your trash cans put out and then put back in garage on trash day or exactly how short your grass must be cut, or what kind/color of flowers you may plant, what color you may paint your house, etc. You always want to know what your getting into before you buy a home.
Betina
There is not such associations officially, but solar panels are quite efficient.It is no more a big deal to make solar panels by our own. To build our own solar panels we should purchase the requisite solar cells which are available at any home stores and online easily. It is advisable to get them online as at times, you might get good prices on online auction sites. So now you can have your own solar panels. You can visit http://www.make-sola-panels.org
Florida has passed permitting homeowners to install solar collectors. Read below:

Florida Law Governs Rules or Covenants Prohibiting Solar Collectors or other Renewable Resource Energy Devices.

Many community leaders may not be aware of Section 163.04, Florida Statutes which prohibits enforcement of restrictions precluding homeowners from obtaining energy from renewable resources.

Florida's legislators made sure this law applied to Condominium and Homeowners' Associations with amendments shortly after the Taylor v. The Ridge at the Bluffs HOA case.

Owners of condominium units are specifically permitted to install solar collectors or energy devices, so long as the installation is wholly within the boundaries of the unit and does not involve patio or balcony railings. The Statute says, in relevant part:

A deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement may not prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or binding agreement. A property owner may not be denied permission to install solar collectors or other energy devices by any entity granted the power or right in any deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement to approve, forbid, control, or direct alteration of property with respect to residential dwellings and within the boundaries of a condominium unit. Such entity may determine the specific location where solar collectors may be installed on the roof within an orientation to the south or within 45° east or west of due south if such determination does not impair the effective operation of the solar collectors.
Kim,
Every HOA has a different set of rules, so there is now way to know for sure; it's completely dependent on which neighborhood you are interested in. Also, most solar panels do not reduce the home value or the neighbors' home values. They are always a benefit to have; but if your neighbor just had them installed, do not worry about it effecting our home value one way or another.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me your neighborhood (or neighborhood of interest) and I will look into the individual case!

Taylor Shults
TaylorShults@gmail.com
(512)667-4738
Kim, depending on where you are in the West Lake Hills area will probably determine if you are in any code or HOA violation. If you are in an HOA, consult them first. I would also contact the city Planning and Zoning/Code Enforcement Dept. to get their take as well. The local HOA rules do not trump a city ordinance for example, but they seem to usually work in tandem where you'd get HOA written approval and perhaps a permit from the city as well. As far as decreasing your neighbors' homes values, probably the contrary. You will enhance yours and as more neighbors go green, probably enhance the value of the community as well. There are no guarantees on that, but "green" is definitely of value to most and is becoming more popular. My only other advice would be to find out the possible damage our hail storms may cause. If you do find a good system and hail is not an issue, please let me know as I'm thinking of solar on my home as well and value any input !
Thanks, Joe Jarusinsky, Keller Williams Realty Realtor/Master Instructor
...p.s. Please click on my name to the right and check my credentials/ testimonials/etc. and jot down my contact info. if my answer was helpful and you may want Real Estate assistance in the future!! Thanks again and good luck. Joe
Dear Kim,
I have information on several neighborhood HOA's and Neighborhood Restrictions: Shady Hollow, Bauerle Ranch, Sendera, Barton Hills, Bouldin, Travis Heights, Covered Bridge, Circle C, Lake Pointe, Lakeway, Hyde Park, Northwest Hills, Great Hills and Alta Vista. Please note that some neighborhoods that don't have HOA's may have building restrictions or guidelines. Just because a neighborhood does not have an HOA does not mean they can't control what you build or add onto the house.

While I have not seen any studies done by the Austin Board of Realtors on how solar panels may impact the neighborhood values, I have had several buyers that have asked to see homes with solar panels.

Cheers!
Betina

Keller Williams
1801 S. MOPAC, Suite 100
Austin, TX 78746
I am not sure of that. Each HOA is their own separate entity with their own rules so you would want to check with the specific HOA where you were looking to buy. I think solar panels will become more common as the cost of energy keeps increasing. Not sure how they would effect other property values. Depending on the roof there may be ways to install them in such a way that they are not so evident. You would also want to make sure they can withstand the hail we get in this area. If you need any help investigating this further please feel free to give me a call.

Don Groff
Keller Williams
512-633-4157
Dear Kim,
Some HOA's have restrictions about the type of roof you may have, composition/metal/slate/tile. Some HOA's go as far as restricting the installation of solar panels. I sincerely hope that this changes, now that people begin to see the real value that solar panels produce. If there is a particular neighborhood your concerned about let me know. I may have the HOA information in my files. I try to save this information for this exact type of question!
Betina

Betina Foreman Realtor
Keller Williams
1801 S. MOPAC, #100
Austin, TX 78746