Going Green in Boston>Question Details

James E. Mor…, Real Estate Pro in Boston, MA

Anyone have any experience with Geothermal Systems?

Asked by James E. Morrison, Boston, MA Tue Mar 23, 2010

Ok Trulia. Anybody here have any experience with Geothermal Systems? I’m wondering if it's a viable heating source for the New England area. Anyone build a house with it or sell a house with it?

Would it be able to sustain a multifamily or apartment complex?

Jim

Answers

4
Marlene Bienes’ answer
I agree with Elizabeth I would definitely consult a geothermal system in order to fit this system with the home you also need to find out the type of maintenance it will need and how much it would run you. With all this being said that is a good investment to a custom home specially one that you will live in. Just think of it this way the more energy-efficient and green you make your home the more savings you will enjoy for years to come and when its time to sell the home value increases by about $20.00 for every $1.00 reduction in annual utility bill.

Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 24, 2010
I sold my aunt and uncle's house that had geothermal heating, and I lived there for a while as well. The particular system would have to be suitable for the building, so you would need to consult a contractor specializing in geothermal systems to have them match the proper system with your property.

It is a great system, but it needs to be maintained to work at fullest capability so be prepared to check on the system periodically.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 13, 2010
Hello James-

It is definite a viable heat source in NE. As with anything that is "unfamliar" to the average buyer, there is some trepidation around these installed systems. But most people get over that when they see the heat bill.

There aren't many viable areas to build them though.

Feel free to contact me and give me more details about your situation.

Matt
Web Reference: http://www.bjheisler.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010
Hi I am racking my brain trying to remember where I saw refernce to that in New England. Try browsing Design New England site for Green builders and also Bston Magazines this years Best of Boston for Green BUilder of the year!
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 24, 2010