General Area in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Milton, Other/Just Looking in

which zip codes are walking distance to university campuses in Pittsburgh, PA.?

Asked by Milton, Fri Feb 29, 2008

Answers

5
"15213 is Oakland, 15232 is Shadyside, 15206 is East Liberty, 15219 is the Hill District, & 15217 is Squirrel Hill. These are just a few areas that surround Oakland and are with in walking distance."

I would scratch 15219 off your list. It is not a safe area whatsoever to live in or even near, let alone drive through.
Some of the universities in the city include Pitt, Point Park, Robert Morris, Duquesne, and then you have Carlow College and Catham College.

15213 is Oakland. Oakland has a "north" end and a "south" end. Some points in South Oakland are not exactly walk-able. Squirrel Hill covers a large area, where again, some points are reasonable walks, while others are not (especially in the snow!).

The East End busway is a popular mode of transportation when traveling to town from the East. The "T" is a popular way to get from some locations in the South Hills. Check out http://www.portauthority.org for more info.

Many commuters by car use Shenley Park for parking and walk to class at Pitt, Chatham or CMU.

Hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 29, 2008
15213 is Oakland, 15232 is Shadyside, 15206 is East Liberty, 15219 is the Hill District, & 15217 is Squirrel Hill. These are just a few areas that surround Oakland and are with in walking distance.

It all depends on which university you are looking at. CMU and Chatam University are on opposite sides of Oakland. While the University of Pittsburgh is in the heart of Oakland.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 29, 2008
The Southside Slopes are free from the party crowds but are convenient to the flats if you want to go out. There are moderate priced condos and homes there as well. If you live close to 18th street you are right on the bus line. I live there and it is very nice. We have Medical Residents, Lawyers, etc in our building (Pius St. Lofts - see PopCityMedia.com) so you know the noise isn't bad there.
If you are looking to live close to Duquesne Unviversity, most of the South Side (15203) is within walking distance. However, the homes on the South Side are very pricey. The quality of life is low as there is too much noise, too many bars, too many bar patrons urinating in public. When I lived on the South Side five (5) years ago there was still stilt left over from the steel mills that would blow off the roof-tops of large commercial buildings and into my home. It seemed like I was fighting a never ending battle against the dust. I was constantly mopping and dusting. The dust & lack of trees also made my eyes & skin dry out. I now life in Highland Park in the East End, (15206) which is in close proximity to the universities and there is a much higher quality of life. The homes are less expesive, the air is fresh & clean (we are essentially living in a park) and it is much quieter at night. We have the added bonus that if you need the City police they will actually respond to your calls in Zone 5 (East End) as the cops all aren't preoccupied dealing with the drunks from the South Side Bars as they are in Police Zone 3 (South Side, 15203).