General Area in 60085>Question Details

Pam D, Both Buyer and Seller in Dupage County, IL

what is the market like in Waukegan, Illinois..is this a good/safe place to live?

Asked by Pam D, Dupage County, IL Wed Oct 3, 2007

Answers

4
Hi Pam-
It depends on what you are looking for, as in any location. I have been a life long resident of Lake County Illinois, with exception of a small time (4 years) where I lived in a bad part of town in Hawaii. Most people think there couldn't possibly be a bad part of Hawaii, and really there isn't. It's all a matter of perception. If you are truly concerned about the area, I would ask the local law enforcement.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 21, 2010
I have lived in waukegan since I was 5 ( for 22 years) , there are various areas, some on the south side of the down town area that are not at all safe. Other areas I would feel very very safe to take a run at night. Unfortunately due to the mortgage bust, there are a lot of people renting out their properties to anyone just to be able to pay the mortgage. Over the years I have seen everything from a great community to live in to feeling unsafe living in my home. Its definately on an area by area basis. My parents street is filled with families who watch out and care for one another, but just like every city it has its good and bad parts.
I'm a 25 year old white male that just bought in the downtown area of waukegan due to the proximity to chicago and quick access to train and highway. I'm moving there from grayslake, my dollar goes very far in waukegan. the town is showing amazing motivation in urban revitilization, which is what you need in this market.
Disclaimer, I'm not a realtor, but I am a resident who pays attention to the market.

The market in Waukegan is really a mixed bag from what I've seen. There is a LOT of inventory, however quality may be lacking in that inventory. Houses are inexpensive, and you CAN find a bargain, but you probably won't get a 100% move in ready HGTV show house!

As far as the neighborhoods. Most are safe, there are (as with any town) less desirable places to live. In general, the further north of Grand you can go, the better. The historic district is roughly a .5 to 1 mile area around the corners of Grand and Sheridan. Sheridan road going North is very nice, filled with old mansions. Newer construction seems to be happening on the North and West sides of the town.

I like Waukegan because of the proximity to the lake and its easy transportation routes to the city (Chicago and Milwaukee are about 1.5 hrs either way).