Nicolette.st…, Other/Just Looking in East New York, Brook...

what is the East New York section of Brooklyn like?

Asked by Nicolette.stevenson, East New York, Brooklyn, NY Wed Dec 16, 2009

Answers

7
Elegant Dreamer’s answer
ENY varies from block to block. I am renting in a nice building for moderate rent on a rather nice block. I am renovating the apt. myself and it is becoming quite beautiful and comfortable. My landlord is more than appreciative as she will easily get a higher rental price when I leave. It has been less expensive for me to make the apt. comfortable than to pay $2,500 plus in Manhattan at this time. I use my income saved to finance my film projects. Soon, however, I hope to move to a decent neighborhood. Currently, I have a neighbor directly underneath me with a grown son (age 36 plus) who is little more than a common criminal and all of the other 3 tenants are on edge as such. We look out for the others' mail, etc. Also, I have to phone the police for noise complaints at least twice a week stemming from loud music to this man's screaming rage with various women. It's tantamount to a surreal urban street film scenario.

So, I am sleep deprived and my co-workers are concerned. Nonetheless, I persist and I am trying to work on my projects as best as I can because there is a better life on the horizon.
Hello, just like most upcoming areas East New York is still in that development stage. There are some very nice blocks throughout the area with newer homes that we call nehemiahs. But like any area in transition there is still a certain level of crime that exists. To get the statistics you can visit the local police station in the area and get a crime report and ask for areas that have lower crime rates within East New York.

It is definitely an affordable part of Brooklyn and like I mentioned it's in transition but it will take quite a few years before the change fully comes full circle.

Rhonda Holt
Weichert Realtors, H.P Greenfield
Web Reference: http://www.RhondaHolt.com
Addressing the HomeBuyer 'R'...like most NYC neighborhoods including the popular Brooklyn Downtown areas, crime is present however in my 30 plus years of living in ENY, I have come to know that those stats are what you make of them. 75th precinct patrols the ENY area and their presence is a breath of comfort and does deter. ENY residents are mixed low-income and working class. The working class consists of Medical employees thanks to Brookdale Hospitals as well as a great number of NYC and NYS government employees who more than balance out the low-class stereotype. ENY is a great investment neighborhood but what makes any neighborhood problematic is when owners rent without discretion just for a dollar. In summary ENY is coming up thanks to recent burst of newer and younger property owners and again, ENY provides the best and easiest accesses to everywhere in Brooklyn and NYC...A definite and better alternative to the costlier East Flatbush and Williamsburg areas.
I too have lived in ENY since 1976 and have seen the neighborhood change due to reported violence etc. I can say that even with living across the boulevard from projects, the pros of ENY outweigh the cons. ENY is accessible to all major arteries/highways and mass transportations making it easy to get residents into NYC within 15 minutes. Also ENY is a growing service/business community and houses some of Brooklyn's biggest and most prominent churches including CCC. ENY boasts the JRY academy from kindegarten to 12th grade which grads have gone on to Harvard U. Among many parks, Gershwin is the biggest park of ENY which has a track field, tennis courts, etc. ENY also offers many shopping choices including the our very own malls which feature Modells, Target, BJ's, Olive Garden, Home Depot and practically every major fast food franchise just to name a few. ENY's residential blocks offer parking, association and great home values which allow for entrepreneurs to easily create offices and businesses in this mixed use community. Why should anyone consider ENY to live? Because ENY is practical for anyone who wants for more house for their money or who needs rental income to accumulate wealth. ENY is also for those who want to be able to renovate and/or build (the way they want) and who want easy access to the city and to all of lifes everyday amenities.
I have lived in ENY for over 30 years. It is generally a low-income community with its share of gang, drug and prostitution issues. Like much of Brooklyn, ENY is different from block to block, area to area. It has numerous housing projects and, in between, a few nice blocks with private homes. The schools are not the best. ENY's strength is that it borders Ozone Park, Howard Beach, Canarsie & Starrett City. These surrounding communities offer services like banks, safer schools, shopping, doctors, etc. So if you find a nice block, with neighbors that are employed and actually live in the homes they own, you may feel comfortable living in ENY. But please please please don't overpay. Save your money for Canarsie or Ozone Park. hope this helps.
East New York is a residential neighborhood located in eastern Brooklyn, a borough of New York City. The neighborhood is part of Brooklyn Community Board 5. Its boundaries, starting from the north and moving clockwise are: Cypress Hills Cemetery to the north, the neighborhood of City Line to the east, Jamaica Bay to the south, and the train next to Van Sinderen Avenue to the west. Linden Boulevard and Atlantic Avenue are the primary thoroughfares through East New York. ZIP codes include 11207, 11208, and 11239. The area is patrolled by the 75th Precinct located at 1000 Sutter Avenue. New York City Housing Authority property in the area is patrolled by P.S.A. 2.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
The median sales price for homes in East New York, Brooklyn for Sep 09 to Nov 09 was $297,500 based on 80 sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median sales price decreased 14.1%, or $48,750, and the number of sales decreased 25.9%. Average price per square foot for East New York was $186, a decrease of 18.8% compared to the same period last year.

There are currently 427 resale and new homes in Brooklyn on Trulia, including 359 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process. The average listing price for homes for sale in East New York was $365,982 for the week ending Dec 08, which represents an increase of 6.3%, or $21,612, compared to the prior week.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com