General Area in Mill Valley>Question Details

Leora, Home Owner in San Francisco County,...

what is marin county's property tax rate?

Asked by Leora, San Francisco County, CA Wed Feb 20, 2013

Answers

7
Hi Leora,
In all of California (at this time) the tax rate is based on 1% of the purchase price, and is adjusted by the tax collector annually, but cannot increase by more than 2% per year. However, in each jusidiction, (county, city, town, subdivision) there may be additional taxes that have been voted into existence by the taxpayers, or levied on a certain area when it was constructed etc. the wikipedia link below has lots more info. If you are in the process of buying a property, the tax assessor can tell you what the entire bill is annually with the break down of the additional items. Or if you are in escrow now, your title company can obtain a copy of the current tax bill. Just remember your tax gets recalculated as of the date of you ownership to 1% of the amount you paid, plus the additional taxes. hope this helps. maryann pearson, RE/MAX Gold, Marin County CA. 415-310-1143
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 20, 2013
I thought property tax in Marin was always based on the sales price of the home. We have been in our house 10 years and the property tax continues to rise as does the stated value of our house as listed on the tax bill.
how do I find out on my tax statement what the breakdown for the basic tax is
example: is each bedroom taxed
The annual tax rate in Marin County is about 1.25% of the purchase price however, the effective rate is usually higher due to all the additional local tax items and will vary based on the city. The effective rate can be as high as 1.3% or more.

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/
Hi Leorna,

The Marin property tax rate is about 1.25%. There are homes that are higher do to mello roos taxes.
If you have specific properties I can give you a more accurate number. Email me at mparedes@fhallen.com.

Warm regards,

Miguel A Paredes III
Marin County Top Producer 2012
FRANK HOWARD ALLEN REALTORS
Direct 415-233-3235
To break it down a bit more. California property tax is1%. The county like Marin will then add on to that amount for assesments like schools, library, roads etc.. The rule of thumb like Madeline said is approximately .25%. some areas in Marin County like Tiburon and Mill Valley for instance may end up being a bit more. Some areas may be a bit less.
I hope that helps.
A rule of thumb is that the property tax rate is 1.25% of the purchase price or assessed value. This varies from city to city. I have seen rates as low as 1.1% or as high as 1.4%. You can easily check with the Marin County Assessor at (415) 473-7215.