General Area in James Island>Question Details

Cc, Home Buyer in Key Biscayne, FL

what are the disadvantages of living in a marsh? how are the mosquitos? if mosquitos are a problem how do homeowners deal with it?

Asked by Cc, Key Biscayne, FL Fri Sep 20, 2013

Biggest disadvantages: flood insurance, mosquitos, actual floods

Solutions: deep woods OFF!, there are spray traps that can be used to ward off (it's what the local country clubs do), consult a flood insurance pro (changes are being made and could change your monthly expenses quite a bit), put a kayak on your roof (haha ok not really).

Any other general questions, feel free to contact me directly!

Gentry Todd
1429 Hooper St, Charleston, SC 29492
Looks like you received plenty of good feedback about the mosquitos but I wanted to point out some other things to be aware of. One of which you may or may not have experience with in Key Biscayne.

Charleston is surrounded by marsh and woods which makes it a prime target for termites. I'm not an exterminator, but I have remodeled many homes in Charleston over the past 10 years and finding termite damage was a common thing.
The lesson here is to make sure the home you are planning to buy is inspected for termites and has a bond in place before you take ownership. Mosquitos are aggravating, but termites can cause you tens of thousands in replacement costs and you would never know it until it was too late.
Check back with me in December as we will be including termite coverage in our pre-inspection home history reports at
Rich E
How about the advantages of living on a marsh, such as the beautiful waterfowl abundance, sea life to include fish, shrimp, and crab, in season, if there is a tidal creek associated with the marsh.
The marsh is the reason we even have shrimp because it is the nursery. Towns that have rivers without marshes do not have shrimp.

Mosquitos? Don't wear loud perfumes. Use off or spray on some skin so soft by AVON. Wear long sleeves, use mosquito coils. Get used to nature if you choose the marsh. That is the blessing. It is a natural world full of wonder, pluff mud, critters, and beauty, and peace. Heaven on earth for all who have it.

We should be so very fortunate to even have this opportunity. That is what makes the Low Country so very special and sought after. Good luck and give it a try. It's addictive.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 19, 2013
Keep in mind that flood insurance mapping is currently undergoing some changes. If you’re looking for marshfront homes (or homes near the marsh), the flood zone and elevation will be important factors in estimating your insurance costs. Be sure to get a flood elevation certificate before closing, and get estimates from several insurance agents to make sure you’re happy with overall costs before closing. Feel free to search waterfront homes on our site at For marshfront, the areas Mt. Pleasant (…) and James Island (…) are great for starting your search! Hope this helps!
Hi CC,
The many ways we deal with mosquitos here:
1) There are mist machines you can buy that work well.
2) There are several local companies that either install these machines or come out and spray your yard or area; and these do work well. And surprisingly, some of them use repellants that are non-toxic and odorless, so you won't be causing any harm.
3) Try to make sure you don't have anything in your yard producing standing water; bird baths are definitely out here!
Hope these tips help!
Ed Marill
There are actually machines you can purchase which will keep them off your property within a certain radius. Foggers or something of that nature- but some of them can run to pretty high prices.

To eliminate it, for less cost- OFF, citronella candles, and certain plants will keep them away.
There are several local companies that offer organic mists for yards near the marsh and I've heard these work well. You'll find mosquitos everywhere in the low country. Not just in the marsh.
The marsh offers lovely vistas and wildlife environment. Mosquitos come from still water, the marsh filters the water as it ebbs and flows with the tide. While mosquitos emerge from the marsh, there are as many coming from dormant water sources like bird baths, water collected in buckets, planters ect. There are pest control companies who offer mosquito control and the county has a mosquito abatement division. They do a very good job of controlling mosquitos with planes that spray the marsh, trucks in neighborhoods and individuals who walk and spray heavily mosquito prone areas. Long story short, don't let mosquitos keep you from the marsh if that is what you like!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 21, 2013
We have Marsh areas where I live & work. The County Sprays to limit the mosquito population. There are some but not nearly what it could be. Any area with standing water can be prone to Mosquitoes. There is also new products & systems pest professionals can set homeowners up with to control them as well. I hope this helps, good luck!
Christine House
You will have a definite issue with mosquitos living on a marsh. There are tons of products as I am sure you know of that can be purchases at grocery stores and pharmacies. Many people put a screened in porch to enjoy the outside and you will notice some restaurants hang bags with water in them around the patios which repels those pesky insects from the patio so patrons can enjoy a meal(not sure how it works.)

I have had clients and family friend who do not like screen install a sort of misting machine that sprays a chemical not harmful to humans and pets and is also not ugly and hardly noticeable on a home. This works great!

I hope I was helpful if you have any other questions and would like to speak please send me your phone number and a good day/time or call me at 843-754-2089 to discuss.

My Best Regards,

Brian Walsh
Pretty sure that the mosquitos in marsh lands are a problem. I heard that Deep Woods Off can help.