General Area in Portland>Question Details

Oliver Chris…, Other/Just Looking in Lenexa, KS

we're visiting portland next month and are looking at neighborhoods from portland to albany and were hoping for some advice. oliver and sylvia

Asked by Oliver Christianson, Lenexa, KS Sun Aug 21, 2011

we're planning on retiring in about a year and like the portland area. we've also been checking other areas further south on trulia- albany, corvallis and salem, etc. we love the older arts and crafts homes. will be in the area sept. 14th, 15th, 16th and the 19th and are planning on doing some looking. (we're celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary on the weekend of the 17th and 18th, so we'll be busy those dates.) we're hoping for some advice on neighborhoods, etc.

Answers

11
Hello Oliver and Sylvia,
First of all Congratulations on your 25th anniversary! Portland is a wonderful place to settle and call a home. No wonder it is in Top 50 places to live. Recently Money magazine placed "Sherwood a small town in Oregon" one of the top 20 livable town in America. Lake Oswego, Westlinn and Mcminville are other beautiful towns famous for its natural beauty. You can also consider living in Portland and visit the neighborhood towns on weekends. During your stay at Portland try driving around these areas and get the first hand experience. I hope you find what you are looking during that week it self. Good luck!

Manisha.realtor@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.Manishajain.com
Do you specifically want older homes or is that just something you like but want to be in the same type of general neighborhood? There are many options for you in all the areas you are looking at - again it will depend on what you like, areas that peak your interest and what your hobbies might be- things like that. I hope you find what you are looking for while there that week. CONGRATS on the 25th anniv. it doesnt happen that often anymore!
Hello! Portland is such a beautiful city. I always have thought this city as a destination. As far as advice goes, it's going to depend on your wants and needs. Their are a lot of activities in and around Portland. You will find the older arts & craft, bungalows, and craftsman type houses all over the neighborhoods. Each neighborhood in Portland is very unique. It's really going to depend on what you want to be near. I LOVE talking about Portland and can talk your ear off! It's such a great place to live. I am happy to answer any questions you may have, please feel free to contact me.
Heather
Hello Oliver and Sylvia. As a NW transplant myself I can tell you that this is a beautiful part of the country to come to. Neighborhoods vary tremendously and depending on your criteria finding what you want shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like schools won't be an issue but how close do you want to be to a downtown area? In and around Portland, the older arts and crafts homes are on the east side, which is generally the older part of town and is focused more on walkability and smaller neighborhoods. They are building newer homes in the Craftsman style on the west side which tends to be spread out more and is more vehicle dependent. As you move south and out of the Portland influence different towns have different flavors. John L Scott features neighborhood pages which may help fill in some of the blanks for you. Go to the link: http://www.johnlscott.com/agentdetail.aspx?ic=4525636
and click on the Neighborhoods tab to get started. I'd be happy to be your tour guide or to answer any questions to help you refine your search.
I'd hesitate to make any neighborhood recommendations until you've been here for at least a couple of days driving through at least 15 that might meet your needs.

Neighborhoods are so critical to home values - the same home a few blocks away (or sometimes on the other side of the street) but in a different neighborhood - will sell for 25% more or less. Sometimes more than that.

So my recommendation is to spend the better part of two days on slow drives through those 15 or so neighborhoods with a local Realtor. The "official" neighborhood map is at http://www.portlandonline.com/shared/cfm/image.cfm?id=59267

I'd be happy to be your escort on that tour if you like.

As to Portland vs. some other city, last week I met an east-coast couple on a trip to decide between Seattle, Portland, and San Diego. She said she was predisposed NOT to like Portland but was just overwhelmed with how much she liked it. I'll bet you have the same reaction - and congratulations on 25 years. That is an admirable milestone these days.
Check out all of these great Portland neighborhoods- http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/
And when you are looking for things to do while in some of your favorite neighborhoods, here's a link I created all about the many cool Portland places of interest- http://relocationtoportland.com/category/101-cool-portland-places
And of course the most import thing is an online Portland relocation guide filled with tips, resources and information which makes moving to Portland Oregon a snap- http://relocationtoportland.com/portand-oregon-relocation/
You are welcome to contact me anytime with questions regarding your transition.
Kevin Levy
503-267-7535
M Realty
I can't speak on Albany, Corvallis or Salem but I know Portland. I've worked with many out of state Buyers moving to the Portland area and most often they are interested in neighborhoods within walking distance of restaurants, retail, parks and especially coffee. If this is a priority for you I would recommend close-in areas on the Eastside of the Willamette Rvier. Starting at the North end . . . Alberta Arts - a neighborhood that has seen considerable change over the last decade. Alberta Street is now home to local boutiques, small, funky galleries and a collection of great restaurants. The surrounding blocks have a very neighborhood feel with home prices from the low $200k for a fixer to the upper $400k for move in ready bungalows & craftsman. Moving south . . . the Belmont to Hawthorne areas are the same idea as Alberta with a heavier emphasis on retail. Located directly across the river from downtown these more established neighborhoods are a little higher priced $300k - $600k+. Ladds Addition (located between 12th & 20th Ave between Hawthorne and Division is worth a drive thru.) Continuing South the Division/Clinton area is very eclectic and gaining attention with new restaurants. More affordable than Belmont & Hawthorne - Division/Clinton is one of my favorite inner city neighborhoods. At the south end of town - Sellwood - a destination area for the antique shopper. Again great retail area but this spans more select blocks rather than an individual street. Homes upper $200k to $600k. There are a few of these types of neighborhoods on the westside as well such as Multnomah & Alphabet District, but the greater concentration is on the Eastside of the Willamette River. I realize your move is still a year out, but I would love an opportunity to give you a guided tour of these neighborhoods and any others that might interest you. Portland is a fun, active city to live in - good choice!

Diane Moreau,
Living Room Realtors
503.680.5836
Diane@LivingRoomRealtors.com
Hi Oliver,

The Pacific NW is a wonderful place to call home, and the Willamette Valley which includes the towns you have picked, is rich in produce and small to medium sized towns. Being a graduate of U of O in Eugene years ago, I've visited all those towns over the years as I've traveled up and down the valley, and they each have their own charms. Most certainly you'll find Craftsman style homes in all of them.

Corvallis and Salem both have universities that would offer stimulating activities from speakers, concerts, exhibits to sporting events.

My favorite smaller town is McMinnville in Yamill County, about 40 miles southwest of Portland and about 50 miles from the beach. It has a cute and lively downtown with great restaurants,shops. galleries and is in Oregon wine country with rolling hills and wineries ranging from gorgeous tasting facilities with views and picnic areas to more simple but friendly operations. McMinnville is also home to Linfield college.

However, you might decide to make your home in the Portland area--as we did many years ago, and enjoy the smaller towns on day trips as you explore Oregon. We enjoy it here for precisely that reason. We can enjoy cultural events downtown, including Portland's expanding theatre scene, shop at over 40 area Farmer's Markets, bike along the riverfront. From downtown Portland, you can hop aboard Amtrak in the morning and be in Seattle by noon. Our ever expanding public transit system including light rail and streetcars give you options that you won't find in other cities.

Arts and crafts style homes can be found in most parts of town, but the greatest concentration is in NE and SE Portland. These are close-in areas with distinctive and lively neighborhood centers.

I would be happy to give you an orientation tour of Portland area neighborhoods during your September visit, and show you a sampling of homes. I am also available to help you in Yamhill County if you decide that might be a possibility as well.

My niche is assisting people who are relocating to our beautiful area, and I particularly enjoy and make friends with my clients who come here to retire--that's why I love my job. My website has info about greater Portland and relocation that you might find helpful.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary, and best wishes for a wonderful Oregon visit!

Sharon Francis, Principal Broker
503-516-8066
Oliver and Sylvia, that's a big order in a small amount of time. I don't know if that question can be answered in a short e-mail. I know the Portland Metro area (not so much Salem/Albany). I guess you'd have to ask yourselves questions like small town vs larger city, access to cultural events, cost of housing and more! In the Portland area, if you prefer the older arts & crafts, you'd want to concentrate on the east side of the river. Close-in eastside neighborhoods such as Laurelhurst, Irvington, Alameda, Beaumont/Wilshire, Hollywood, Eastmoreland, Westmoreland offer a lot of those style homes and high walk scores. If you wanted to go to the property search link on my http://fabulousportland.com web site, you can click on particular neighborhoods and get a feel for style and price. Call or write for more details. All the best,
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
jj@janeesejackson.com
503-709-0802
Web Reference: http://fabulousportland.com
Wow, there a lot to look at in that area, small towns to mid size towns, as well as all that Portland has. Be sure to look at Silverton, SE of Portland, and take a drive up to Silver falls State park, SE of the town, great area to enjoy for a long walk with several water falls. Silverton is an historical town, lots of old homes, and several towns in the valley have new homes that look old, with that old historical design, but new so none of that factors that may cost you lots to repair. So drive the valley and see you like one of the many small towns that the valley offers. Maybe if your retiring, you will want a 1 story. Some of the newer designs, have that old flavor, but designed as a 1 story.

Best to you, lots to look at in such a short time frame.

HLR
Oliver,

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary! Portland is great for older arts and crafts homes that are available in just about any section of the city. Are there other specific criteria that you are looking for? I have attached a link to a guide of Portland neighborhood and would be happy to answer any more questions.

Lori Fenwick
Broker/Home Sweet Home Realty LLC
503-593-7199